Moodle for mobile

Offline download and sync

Picture of Lucas Pose
Offline download and sync

Hello, Im running my own version of the app (v3.5.0, 3501) which just has a few cosmetic changes. Im building it following the instructions using ionic cordova and AOT compiling and using it with Android only.

My courses consist of a few dozen Scorm activities consisting of html websites that includes videos, instructions and some interaction.

All goes well, and when I download my courses from the app it works fine. 

Heres the issues Im having and id be happy to hear your suggestions on how to fix these.

1.  Files are not downloaded. After downloading the course, I have to manually download files (html sites i use as pdf replacement)
  2. Synchronization leads to failure to load when going back offline; after I download the course (which means downloading all Scorm activities), i sometimes get the core.networkmsg error when opening activities. This happens when I go online, synchronize with the server, and go back offline, in these cases, some (and not all!) scorm activities give me the network error. This is extremely frustrating and i'd appreciate your help.
  3. Finally, this one is more about my particular case, I want to know if there is a better way to download the courses to each individual device. Ive had to set up 150 tablets and there are a few hundred more incoming. After i set up each one of them with the App i need to download the courses which takes a lot of time, I'd like to know if somehow there's a way to create the .apk with the courses pre-loaded for offline use.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Dani Palou
Re: Offline download and sync
Core developersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Hi Lucas,

have you checked if you have the same problems with the official Moodle app? 

Regarding the last point, this was asked before and AFAIK there is no easy way to preload the content. The app uses a database to detect the downloaded files, so copying the contents won't be enough since they won't be found in the app's database.

Cheers,

Dani

Picture of Lucas Pose

Hey Dani!

I have replicated the error in the official Moodle App and also found a "fix" for my particular case.

The error happens when I do the following

1. Go online and download the course.

2. (optional) Go offline, try courses, they all work fine

3. Go online, attempt a SCORM activity, but not finish it.

4. Go back offline. This time when I attempt the activity it will give me the "networkmsg" error. 

What I assume is happening, is that my SCORM package is not properly setting the Finalized (or completed) status when the user quits early, and thus, the current attempt, not being finished, is preventing me from attempting it offline. 

Now I think this should not be happening because I set the "Force new attempt" option on my SCORM activities. I have managed to fix this by ticking the "Force Completed" option.

On other note, I'd like to ask about the file downloads. The "Download course" only downloads SCORM activities and Quizes. Is there any way for it to also download Files?

Thank you,

Lucas

Picture of Dani Palou
Core developersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Hi Lucas,

this is a known issue with SCORMs and some other activities. Basically, in step 3 you are generating some new data for the SCORM, so it's marked as "outdated" (there's something to be downloaded), so trying to open in offline displays the error because it's trying to update the data.

We opened this issue to fix it:

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MOBILE-2114

The download course should download all activities and resources - this includes Files. How did you configure those files?

Kind regards,

Dani