intl.so Requirement.

intl.so Requirement.

by Martin . -
Number of replies: 7

I am trying a fresh install on a Mac (Mojave) already running apache, SQL and PHP.

AFAIK the intl.so PHP extension is now a requirement but I cannot see how to get said module since it seems to have been depreciated by everybody else.

From the Moodle Install page:

php_extensionintl

Intl extension is required to improve internationalization support, such as locale aware sorting and international domain names.

Check

It is not part of the macOS PHP install.

The Moodle support pages are surprisingly Windows centred and do not mention macOS.

PHP extension installs are no longer supported by Homebrew.

The PHP.net site sends you here: https://pecl.php.net/package/intl which has a banner at the top stating that This package is not maintained anymore and has been superseded. 

It has a link back to the page at php.net that sends you to pecl that goes to php that goes to pecl etc. etc.

All I want (again AFAIK) is to either bypass this 'requirement', or to download an SO file, put it with the other PHP so files, and edit the php.ini 

Download a file and edit an ini ... simple !!!

Finally I get to my point (!)

Is it possible to install Moodle on a localhost Mac? How undo I satisfy the into requirement?

Thanks.

SORRY: This is my first Post and I was shocked to see it put my name in public !... so I had to edit it immediately ... is there a way that this information NEVER put into a public place on this forum? 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin .

Re: intl.so Requirement.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This is what I use...

https://php-osx.liip.ch/

In reply to Howard Miller

by Martin . -

Thanks ... I did find this but when using either of the top two commands I got his message ... :

[WARNING]

Detected macOS Mojave 10.14. There are serious issues with it, due to the original apache not loading

foreign libraries anymore. PHP within apache will most certainly not work anymore if you proceed!

The cli version still will.

See this issue at https://github.com/liip/php-osx/issues/249 for details and discussion

Restart this script with

curl -s https://php-osx.liip.ch/install.sh | bash -s force 7.3

to really install it

I am not sure where to go now ...

Using Home-brew to install php does not seem to work ... their https.conf edits simply prevent Apache from Loading.

PECL does not seem to be supported either.

I am beginning to wonder if all things lead to Mojave. I really wanted a portable development test bed to explore Moodle. I will try to install Moodle on one of my Synology servers ... but that was also broken when I last tried!

In reply to Martin .

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Ahh... to be fair, this sort of thing is quite common when Apple release a new OS version. Everybody seems to catch up given a bit of time. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Martin . -

FWIW. I have just tried the latest Synology package supplied with their most recent DSM ... and it got stuck in the same place!!!

Is there a way to disable this requirement ... I cannot see why it should be a requirement from my POV ... 

Server Check Failure for Moodle

In reply to Martin .

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

As a suggestion to your comment that you "I really wanted a portable development test bed to explore Moodle..." have you considered installing the MAMP package?  This is what I use on my Mac.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Martin . -

Thanks Rick ... that may be a way forward.

I have already got a working MySQL/PHP/Apache setup ... with the exception of a single into extension!!! ... and it has been working for some years now ... I use it for basic web tech development.

I am reluctant to put an entire 'package' onto a working system when I do not know what it will be changing. I will cruise their site to look at more details ... but at the moment I am not wanting to upset a well balanced apple cart just for Moodle.

In reply to Martin .

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I know what you mean.  I have been running MAMP for maybe 5 years or more.  Howard got me thinking about installing everything simply in my Mac's environment.  I am not a Linux guy, and a slow but careful learner, and have not had success.  I have encountered this "intl" issue in several types of installations, including XAMPP on the Mac.  Ken Task has even provided me some instructions on how to rebuild stuff, but I haven't mastered it yet.

So, on my Mac, I find MAMP to be my easiest solution.  On the PC, XAMPP works well.  Both have the ability to have intl turned on.

On my VPS (my production moodle,) I am using MariaDB.  In my MAMP, I am using MySQL.  I seem to be in pretty good shape moving data back and forth.  I wish MAMP contained MariaDB.  Well, I sure there is a way to do this.

I am still learning, but I wanted to share some of my own experiences with you.