New Users Load to Profile, then Preferences

New Users Load to Profile, then Preferences

by Lucky Ken -
Number of replies: 9

Hello! I'm having difficulty with getting our users to load to the front page or the page where all of our courses are displayed after signing up. All of their profile fields are filled up, but users have to navigate through the system after signup just to take a look at the pages where they can enroll for a course. 

Does anyone know how I can change the settings for a new user -- so that they can go directly to the front page after signing up? 

Thanks in advance! : )

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lucky Ken

Re: New Users Load to Profile, then Preferences

by Lucky Ken -

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I've looked all over the forums and haven't had success there. 

In reply to Lucky Ken

by Susan Mangan -
What version are you running? There should be a setting for ‘default landing page’ where you can force users to land on the ‘home’ page rather than the ‘dashboard’.
In reply to Susan Mangan

by Lucky Ken -

Hi Susan! 

Thank you so very much for taking the time to reply. I'm running 3.5.2. I was able to find the user dashboard setting, but it doesn't change anything for new users unfortunately. For users who already have an account, they load to the right place (dashboard), but not for new sign ups unfortunately. Any thoughts?

In reply to Lucky Ken

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

To follow Susan, what she's recommended is found here: 

Site administration / ▶︎ Appearance / ▶︎ Navigation

Default home page for users (which can be Site, Dashboard, or user Preference) -- you'll want to set it to "Site"

It would be helpful if you can tell us where exactly a user is 'sent' after they complete sign up, What type of Authentication are you using?

Site administration / ▶︎ Plugins / ▶︎ Authentication / ▶︎ Manage authentication

In reply to John Provasnik

by Lucky Ken -

Hello John!

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my message. I really love the Moodle Community - it's showing OS works well. 

So I've done what you said and it helps already existing users, but doesn't change anything for new sign ups. 

I seem to be redirecting to the following page: (moodlesite)/user/preferences.php?userid=(userid)

Users are using No authentication so they don't have to get email confirmation to sign up. 

Thanks again for your help. : )

In reply to Lucky Ken

by Lucky Ken -
Any thoughts related to the above?
In reply to Lucky Ken

by Colin Peters -

Did you get a solution to this?  I'm having the same issue.  I can't seem to get new users to go from profile, then policies to front page as they are diverted to preferences.

C

In reply to Lucky Ken

by Andrew Shaw -

I'm presuming this is happening because you have required profile fields on a user profile which don't appear on signup?

It happened to my organisation when we added a new profile after existing users already had an account, forcing an update of the new profile (as it's now a required field)  when they next logged in.

Anyway, the real issue is that after updating the user profile from the page "(moodlesite)/user/edit.php" you are forced back to "(moodlesite)/user/preferences.php". This seems to be predetermined by Moodle core php and needs this to be edited in core code.

You need to look at moodle/user/edit.php around line 192 (this may change depending on the version of moodle you are using) and change "$returnurl = new moodle_url('/user/preferences.php', array('userid' => $user->id));" to "$returnurl = new moodle_url('/?redirect=1');" This will take them back to the default landing page you have set.

I recommend commenting out the old line (with "//") and adding the new one underneath so you can go back easily if needed.