General help

Course images on course overview

Picture of Jurgen Gaeremyn
Course images on course overview

Hi,

when logging in to my moodle site, I notice that every course now has a nice looking image accompanying the tile outlining the course progress and summary. Can't find where to change those images to something I chose myself though.

Could someone point me the way?

Moodle 3.5 here

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Re: Course images on course overview
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Hello. Yes. You can change them from the course administration by clicking Edit settings and changing the uploaded image. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Jurgen Gaeremyn

Hi Mary,

why aren't I surprised that you fired that reply. Thanks a lot (for being so active over all)!

I followed your pointers and figured out why I didn't find it (though it obviously was the first place I looked)

The Dutch translation is to be called ambiguous at best. It translates into "Course summary files" - I was assuming it was for some kind of PDF. Only after looking into the file types (jpg, png, gif), I gave it a shot.

Where should I report/suggest a better translation? (I would suggest: "Afbeelding voor cursusoverzicht")

Thanks for pointing the way!

Mary Cooch
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Anyone is welcome to suggest translations in languages other than English on our translation site, https://lang.moodle.org/ (also accessed from the black bar at the top of this page smile )

Picture of Dustin Hunter

Hi Mary,

I have a question about this.  I am running Moodle 3.5 but anytime I try to add an image to my course, when I go to the dashboard the image is resized to a point that it is cutoff.  My marketing department will not let this fly.  When I remove the image I get the different colors and shapes in the summary block but they won't let that go either because the colors displayed are not the colors authorized to be used by our marketing style guide.  Is there a way to ensure the size of the .png I put in the course so that it isn't skewed on the summary block?  I have tried several pixel sizes on the file and different files and types of files, but always get the same result.

Thanks a bunch!

Dustin

Mary Cooch

Hello Dustin. First of all, I am in no way an expert on images so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along to advise. I have found in my own courses that using a rectangular image, around 640 x 280 pixels works fairly well, although I always try to find an image with some space around the edges so things don't get cut off - or else one where it doesn't matter. Which sizes have you been experimenting with?

Picture of Dustin Hunter

Thanks for the response Mary!  I have been adjusting the sizes randomly just going down or up in increments to see if it will change.  I did try to use a more rectangular logo as well but it seems to be resizing them automatically.  That was why I was wondering if there was a setting somewhere that was adjusting them automatically.  The smaller I go in Pixel size, the more pixelated the image becomes and the size is still too large in the summary block.  Even if I use a fairly large image it seems to adjust to the size you can see on my screenshots.  Perhaps I just need to try different images outside of my corporate logos in my sandbox server to find what works best.

Picture of Dustin Hunter

I think what I am going to have to do is just have my marketing department create me a logo that has more white space around it to make it fit better.  I just experimented with a picture that had a lot of white space around the logo and it looks much better.  I will post what the outcome of this is when I get a file from them and can get it uploaded.  Thanks for your Help so far Mary!!

Mary Cooch

Ah yes I was going to say -when I have had a smaller square image I have added a lot of white space around it and it works well because it doesn't then enlarge it - go for itsmile

Picture of Melanie Scott
Particularly helpful Moodlers

This might sound silly...but if you use powerpoint, you can create a white box with white outline and place your image in the center of it--make sure you have a lot of white space around the image.  Select both and save as image.  That resolves the issue of needing more space around the edges without relying on someone else to do it.

I use powerpoint to do a lot of image creation/editing.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Picture of Dustin Hunter

Thanks Melanie!  That doesn't sound silly at all.  I have done it many times for graphics for my training videos.  Fortunately my marketing team is pretty quick and had me something within an hour.  If not then I would have definitely used this suggestion!!  I think the finished product looks good.

Regards,

Dustin

Picture of Rick Jerz
Particularly helpful Moodlers

Dustin, you are bringing up a very good point (maybe a problem.)  We have had some discussion about this picture sizing issue in at least one other topic: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=372723#p1502738.

I think that I know what you are going through.  The logic for sizing these images is not quite clear.  What I have found is that the displayed image changes based on the size of the browser window.  I too could not get this image always showing properly.  There might be a lacking feature that says something like "keep image fully shown" or "maintain aspect ratio," or something like that.  Since the current moodle is "responsive" there is some logic to resigning based upon the user's screen size.  But something is not quite right with the dashboard images.

In a quiz that contains an image, I use a "responsive" template for the image.  This allows the image to always resize and show in full.  But this doesn't happen for the dashboard's course images.

Well, in my case I live with what I get.  It has not been worth my time pursuing.  But I can understand you Marketing department (Marketing folks want to be in control.  smile )

Maybe you have already found a workable solution.  I am just sharing some of my own thoughts.