Moodle for mobile

Control text direction in a short answer in a cloze - RTL

Picture of Lior Ainey
Control text direction in a short answer in a cloze - RTL

Hi,

I'm using the moodle app (3.5.2) using a LTR language.

I'm answering a short question inside a close.

The question is written in English, the answer should be as well.

Since the language is defined as a RTL, the form input box is aligned to right.

How can I align it to left even though the language is RTL.

Notice: in the web version (3.5), this issue does not exist: the text-align and direction is probably taken correctly from the question.

Regards,

Lior

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Pau Ferrer Ocaña
Re: Control text direction in a short answer in a cloze - RTL
Core developersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Hi Lior,

Can you give me more details about that? What's the user language on web, the course language on web, the site language... and the app language defined. Can you send some screenshots ofrom the web and from the app?

Thanks!

Picture of Lior Ainey
תשובה ל: Re: Control text direction in a short answer in a cloze - RTL

Hi Pau,

The use language on the Web is Hebrew, the app language is also Hebrew.

I'm not sure about the course and site languages (I couldn't find these setting).

My course has a mixture of Hebrew and English (Lessons in Hebrew, some questions in English) - that's probably what makes the confusion.

I expect the text direction and alignment to be derived from the question text box (where I define the question).

Please check the attached images:

Web_cloze_short_answer.jpg : Web version seems good (align and direction).

App_cloze_short_answer,jpg : App version (text direction is rtl instead of ltr).

I also found other issues:
In Multi choice question type, both Web and App version are not aligned correctly:
* The a,b,c,d in both platforms are aligned to left instead of right
* The button in the App version (Left instead of right).

I expect the answers to be derived from the answers text (I tried to change direction and alignment but couldn't get the expected result).

The Cloze Multi choice question type on the other hand seems ok in both platforms.

Regards,
Lior

Re: תשובה ל: Re: Control text direction in a short answer in a cloze - RTL

Thanks Lior!

This is hard to reproduce and also to fix.

If language it's force to english that would explain th  behaviour on the web. I did some research and nothing give's me a current answer why this is working like this (unless english is forced). Nothing seems to be there on purpose to control if you are using a language or another,

From the part of the app, the direction applies depending on the user preference and there's no language detection on this.

Anyway, I've opened the issue https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MOBILE-2662 and we will check  all this reversions done on the web but I cannot assure you this is going to solve your problem.

If you detect or have more information that could help with that it would be amazing!

Cheers,

Pau

Re: תשובה ל: Re: Control text direction in a short answer in a cloze - RTL

Hi again Lior,

I have confirmed that the only way to show questions in RTL/LTR is that the whole page it's on the same direction. So on a RTL page all questions will be shown RTL and on a LTR, LTR. That differs from the Mobile app, where it will show everything on the same direction but depending on the user language preference.

Cheers,

Pau

Picture of Lior Ainey
תשובה ל: Re: תשובה ל: Re: Control text direction in a short answer in a cloze - RTL

Hi Pau,

This is indeed describes what I experience.

1) I think that it would be better if both the web and the app will behave the same (the web behavior seems more flexible in our case). 

2) It would be nice to have a way (even a workaround) to control direction and alignment in such a mixed mode (LTR & RTL).

Lior

Re: תשובה ל: Re: תשובה ל: Re: Control text direction in a short answer in a cloze - RTL

Hi Lior!

Thanks for your ideas and opionions we will have them in mind and will try to improve that in a near future.

Thanks again!

Pau