Category roles visible in participants list

Category roles visible in participants list

by Peter Diedrichs -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Since we upgraded from v3.2 to 3.4, the users roles in the course and their roles on category level are all visible to the students in the participants list. 

For example, we have teachers in courses who also work with study administration, who are added as "Study administrators" on the category level. 

• In courses they are not added to, they are not listed at all (as before, in v 3.2)
  • I courses they are added to they are listed as both Teacher and Study administrator. This is not wanted.

I cannot find anywhere to change this, is it possible?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Diedrichs

Re: Category roles visible in participants list

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Peter,

Is only Teacher selected as a 'Profile visible role' in Site security settings in the Site administration?

In reply to Helen Foster

by Peter Diedrichs -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Ah, no - the roles I wanted to hide was checked as well! Thank you, Helen!

In reply to Helen Foster

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi Helen, 

I'm on 3.4 and am having the same issue. My "Profile visible roles" are set to student and teacher only:

But the teacher sees other roles listed in the Participants List in two places: 

Under the Roles column:

In the Filter:

they can also see the roles on the user profile:

For the Teacher Permissions, I have this set:

Any suggestions of what I may have mis-configured?

In reply to John Provasnik

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I've created tracker MDL-65030 to discuss the "Visible Roles" that are 'not' selected that are appearing in the Participants list or User Profiles for M 3.4, 3.5, and 3.6

The Moodle Docs don't provide any other details other than to select which roles you want to appear in those two places (https://docs.moodle.org/36/en/Site_security_settings#Profile_visible_roles)

It seems to be a bug to me that non selected roles are appears in those two places for non-admin users.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)