Is it possible for one activity to have multiple competencies that can be independently acheived

Is it possible for one activity to have multiple competencies that can be independently acheived

by Dave Foord -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I want to use competencies on a course, but in a way that certain activities (assignments) have multiple competencies mapped to them, but where the tutor can identify which competencies are completed (and which are not). I cannot seem to do this, it looks like the options are all or nothing - e.g. they achieve all the competencies (if activity is completed) or none of them, but not a mixture.

I can achieve this with Outcomes, but find the single layering of outcomes hard to work with when they are part of a complex hierarchy which competencies seem to handle better.

Any advice greatly received, even if someone just confirms that this cannot be done with competencies.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dave Foord

Re: Is it possible for one activity to have multiple competencies that can be independently acheived

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I'm not sure but I suspect that you can only do this manually - ie - instead of setting the competencies so they are met when the activity is completed, you could set them to be sent for review when the activity is completed, and then the tutor would have manually to review and rate them. But I don't think that's what you are looking for.

In reply to Dave Foord

Re: Is it possible for one activity to have multiple competencies that can be independently acheived

by Shirley Gregorczyk -

In working with competencies for many years before Moodle, I would not recommend your approach. I would set up multiple courses, each with the specific competency to be achieved.

Student A needs to achieve forklift skills on loading and uploading trucks on a dock.

Student B needs to achieve forklift skills on stacking loads in a 4-high rack.

Student C needs to achieve forklift skills on performing the daily maintenance checklist.

This could be one course - but the students that have already accomplished skills C and B will not be fully engaged with those course activities.

To fully engage my students, I create targeted course content - and award the appropriate competency to the skill.

Best Regards,

Shirley

In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Dave Foord -

Thanks to people for responding to my request, I have succumbed the fact that Competencies are not going to work for what I want. I will revert back to using Outcomes. It is a shame there isn't a hybrid of outcomes and competencies - e.g. something that has the hierarchical structure offered by competencies and the ability to create learning plans, but with the ability to have multiple competencies independently connected to an activity.

Thanks again.