Template for wikis

Template for wikis

by wendy winnard -
Number of replies: 7
I wish to create student learning plans and have now set up a wiki in student mode so that each has their own personal wiki. Is there a means of stting up a template so that each one independently has a set of blank pages with common headings...any help gratefully received.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to wendy winnard

Re: Template for wikis

by Ray Lawrence -
Hi Wendy,

Good news! If you create a text file and upload it to the course files area this can be used to seed your Wiki's initial page by using the "Choose an Initial Page" setting.

Tips:
  • The name of the file you use file you create will create the name of the initial page in the Wiki (you can delete the .txt extension).
  • The file name must be in CamelCase format.
  • This is a once only operation i.e. you cannot change your mind about the use of this feature after the Wiki is created.
  • Create a folder in the course files area and put the initial page file in there or all files in the main course files area will show as pages when you select options from the "Choose Wiki Links" drop down menu.
Ray
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by John Blake -
Let me see if I understand this...if I want to create a new wiki activity, all I need to do is follow the directions or when I create the course?thoughtful
In reply to John Blake

by Ray Lawrence -
Hi John,

I'm not sure if I've understood your question correctly, so please forgive me if you know this already....

You will need to select "Wiki" from the "Add an activity" drop down menu in a course you have created first in order to achieve the steps above. Of course, you can also add a Wiki on the Site page (which is technically a course anyway) in the Main Menu block or the Topic area (if you have that enabled to "Yes" in Site Settings.

Ray
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by John Blake -
Hello Ray,

I think I have it.  I just have not had much luck with using the wiki module.  I tried creating group reports - that did not work...tried having students write in the wiki like blog posts - that did not work...can you link me to tips on using wiki in Moodle?
In reply to John Blake

by Ray Lawrence -
Hi John,

"...can you link me to tips on using wiki in Moodle?"

Not generally, but if you post some specifics perhaps I (and others) may be able to help.

Ray