SCORM integration

SCORM integration

by Stephen Harvey -
Number of replies: 7

Please can someone clean the SCORM integration up so it displays as large a "window" as possible, and not loose large margins of the page due to white space.

Is there any chance this can be addressed? As the vast majority of commercial organisations will be benchmarking/comparing against rival LMS and Moodle is generally last in this category and so is loosing potential revenue and position.

Rapidly generated elearning is continuing to grow as products like Storyline/Captivate allow slicker content to be created, yet this will just demonstrate Moodles weakness with its ability to publish it when half the window is taken up by the "container".

If this can be flagged to someone with the ability to push this at HQ it would benefit everybody.

Additionally if you agree with this maybe post on this thread to help fix it.

Thanks.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Stephen Harvey

Re: SCORM integration

by John Papworth -

I agree with you Stephen.  Its handling of SCORM is not as good as it really should be.  It has been like this for years now and reading some of the feedback, shows there are many people disgruntled with the way it all works.

I mean who really has those padded areas in SCORM windows anyway?  mixed

In reply to John Papworth

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

To be fair, a massive amount of the display issues come from:

1) Custom site themes.
2) The SCORM package itself.

The most common problem with 2) partly relates to the way Moodle embeds the SCORM package within an iframe - loading the SCORM api within the same window. We do this because JavaScript/SCORM is really fragile, and intermittent communication issues are common when your API sits on a different window from the actual SCORM package.

There are a number of things you can do to improve the display of your SCORM packages - either by adjusting your custom theme or adjusting the SCORM package itself.

We also have a couple of tracker issues that could provide some nice ways to improve this:
https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-62057 (should be relatively easy to implement if someone wants to put some time into developing a patch!)
If not - hopefully I'll find some time to look at this sometime.

I also had a proposal here that provides a way we could inject some custom css into the SCORM package to fix the display issues from within the package:
https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-50401

That is a bit hacky - and it would really be better to fix the css within the SCORM packages themselves but this is not always possible.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Stephen Harvey

by Derek Chaplin -

Hi Steve,

There a couple of things you can using CSS to improve the look of SCORM content by hiding the table of contents. Here is what I've added to my theme's additional CSS area

/* Hide SCORM table of contents block */
#scorm_toc {
display:none !important;
}

As for the white space that obviously depends on the content's dimensions.

Hope this is helpful.

cheers,

Derek

In reply to Derek Chaplin

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Derek,

How does this differ from the SCORM setting "Display course structure in player" - and setting it to "disabled" ?
In reply to Dan Marsden

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

That setting doesn't remove the table of contents, it just eliminates all the nav that would appear in it. The toggle button is still there and still takes up space. 

Building off of Derek, I've added this to remove both the TOC and the Toggle button to allow my scorm to utilize the entire width of the page:

/* HIDE SCORM TOC  */

#scorm_toc {

}

#scorm_toc_toggle {

}

In reply to John Provasnik

by Dan Marsden -

The toggle shouldn't show at all when set to 'disabled' - only when set to 'hidden' - if it does then theres definitely a bug there somewhere.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Dan - thank you for that clarification. yes, I had mine set to disabled and not hidden, therefore, no special code was needed for my case!