New enrolment messages are sent from Admin's email address. Can I change that?

New enrolment messages are sent from Admin's email address. Can I change that?

by Zhivko Z -
Number of replies: 3

Hello,

By default - new enrolment messages are sent from Admin's email address. 

1. Teachers and Admin receive email saying that student xyz has enrolled in course abc

2. Student receives welcome email: Welcome to {$a->coursename}!If you have not done so already, you should edit your profile page so that we can learn more about you: {$a->profileurl}

Can I change the sending email address for these? Can these emails be sent from the support email address instead?

Moodle 3.1.2

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Zhivko Z

Re: New enrolment messages are sent from Admin's email address. Can I change that?

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

mmm not really, you can, but the implications are that any email sent out will use this email address. Currently, AFAIK, you cannot differentiate email addresses for different purposes in Moodle. There may be a way, someone at the OU may have done it, yet not released it for general use, but for most of us, the only way to do it is to either use a dummy email address at install/setup or enter the database with something like phpMyAdmin, go to the Users table, "mdl_User" is the default, and manually edit the AdminUser's email. That will solve your immediate problem, but is likely to cause other problems. 

As an aside, this is not something I have considered before. However, it does raise a number of interesting questions about how we might be able to use Moodle in the future. Think about placing this on Moodle Tracker as a new feature. Initially it would mean the creation of different automatic accounts, like AdminUser, specifically related to enrollment greetings, but perhaps editable fields in settings.   

In reply to Colin Fraser

Re: New enrolment messages are sent from Admin's email address. Can I change that?

by Zhivko Z -

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your feedback!

I don't mind if any email sent out will use the same email address. Is this a setting or it has to be hard coded?

In reply to Zhivko Z

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

You will have to edit the database directly. Simple if you are using MariaDB, MySQL or PostGreSQL, use phpMyAdmin or phpPGAdmin. Adminer should do it too.