Automated backups (cli) long backuping time/higher server load

Re: Automated backups (cli) long backuping time/higher server load

by Séverin Terrier -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Marius,

My mdl_logstore_standard_log.ibd file is 12 GB, for 57,500,000 records.

But i think you must know several things about the log table :

• information about deleted courses still exists in the table
  • when resetting a course, it does not delete previous logs for this course!

Information is deletted only based on the loglifetime variable (mine is configured for 2 years / 730 days).

So, depending on the way you use your Moodle, and the number of years you used it, log table perhaps still stores a big number of totally unneeded information.

You can manually delete information about deleted courses and reseted course (before the start date) with appropriate queries if you want.

HTH,
Séverin

In reply to Séverin Terrier

by Marius S -

Hello Severin,

Thank you for information. It seems that our logs are too big...

We are facing this issue: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-56223

If I go to random old course with assignments, with no students, and go to Report > Logs, I see that "Calendar event updated" is running everyday, multiple times per day, so it generates ton of logs and stores in mdl_logstore_standard_log table.

Would it be safe to run sql query in phpmyadmin and delete "Calendar event update" records from mdl_logstore_standard_log table?

This issue is still unresolved. I will try to post about this issue in forums, maybe someone faced this issue and has a solution.

Marius.

In reply to Marius S

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Marius,

The log table is mainly used to track details of what has been done, and be able to browse (or search) it. It can also be used to generate statistics (if enable). So, no problem to delete things in it !

Moreover deleting "abusive" information isn't a problem but better cleaning unwanted things.

I think, seeing people facing this problem, and knowing problems generated (big logs, big backups, too much time and disk needed...), that it's worth doing things to have it resolved (soon).

Séverin