"View courses without participation not available in Moodle 3.4

"View courses without participation not available in Moodle 3.4

by Barrington Womble -
Number of replies: 2

Current Moodle version: 3.4 (Build: 20171113)

Hi all,

In our previous instance of Moodle last year (3.1.3 Build: 20161114) we were able to give all Tutors (we are an Sixth Form college) the ability to be a 'Non Editing Teacher'

This allowed Tutors to be able to show students Moodle and where the to find their courses etc without having to enrol and/or have all the Enrolment keys

We cannot find this feature to 'bulk' add multiple Tutors as Non Editing Teachers

We used to do this on Moodle 3.1.3 by going to –

Site Administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles >
Click on Course Creator > Turn on Edit > then filter for ‘View courses’ and Allow ‘View courses without participation’

As all staff were listed a Course Creators so this worked

In the same location in Moodle 3.4 this option does not exist and I can’t find a simple workaround to allow all Tutors easy access to ‘participate’ and view Moodle courses without having to enrol etc.

On Moodle 3.4 we have gone into Site Administration > Users > Define roles > Non-editing Teacher and added it to System

Then into Assign system roles, in which Non-editing teacher now appears

But adding any Tutors into here still requires them to Enrol and/or enter an Enrolment Key to enter those specific courses

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Any help and advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Barrington Womble

Re: "View courses without participation not available in Moodle 3.4

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi Alex, 

I'm using 3.4.4 and when I navigate to Site Administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles > I do see it there. 

Are you searching for this permission while you are on the "edit" Screen (where you can select the permission options)?

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to John Provasnik

Re: "View courses without participation not available in Moodle 3.4

by Barrington Womble -

Hi John,

I don't know what magic you performed but (because it couldn't possibly be my user error....!) it now appears and it worked immediately!

I swear we tried this, before but obviously can't have!

Much appreciated, your quick reply has saved us a lot of head scratching!

Cheers