Adding 'Course Name' to Face-to-face emails

Adding 'Course Name' to Face-to-face emails

by Dave Henderson -
Number of replies: 7

Just wondering how to add the 'course name' to emails for Face-to-face sessions.

I have Face-to-face session which I want the 'Course name' to display in the 'subject line' and also the 'message' for email like advising users they are booking on sessions.

I can change most things in the 'Language customisation' but cannot add the 'Course name'.

Please help.....

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dave Henderson

Re: Adding 'Course Name' to Face-to-face emails

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

It should put the course name in the emails (in activity settings, you'll see the four message options, in the subject, it should say something like [coursename] in the text...this means the system will add the name of the course to that area.

If that isn't enough, you can go to Site administration->Plugins->Face-to-face at the bottom there is an option to add custom session fields.  Then you go to the language pack, go to the facetoface piece and find each area that is used for messaging (there are a lot!), add the custom session field name to the language pack message areas in [ ].

In reply to Melanie Scott

by Dave Henderson -

Hi Mary,

Thanks for the reply,

I am very novice at this, and trying to get my head around many things on Moodle, we are putting Moodle live in October.

I have already tried with your suggestion of [coursename] in the 4 messages, also many more as per below.

I can get all the information in the messages and we do also use 'custom session filed' and display them in the message too.

The messages are exactly how I want them except inserting the course name automatically. I currently have to go to every message of every activity and manually insert the course name. 

I just can't seem to find 'Course Name'.

I have tried all of the below, with no luck, some a little silly, but I try in hope:

[coursename]

[{$a->coursename}]

[{$a-=coursename}]

[{$a-coursename}]

[{$acoursename}]

[{$coursename}]

[coursefullname]

[{$a->coursefullname}]

[{$a-coursefullname}]

[{$acoursefullname}]

[{$coursefullname}]

[courseshortname]

[{$a->courseshortname}]

[{$a-courseshortname}]

[{$acourseshortname}]

[{$courseshortname}]

[{courseshortname}]

[$a->courseshortname]

[$a-courseshortname]

[$acourseshortname]

[$courseshortname]

by Melanie Scott -

So, I went in and looked at one of my f2f activities--it displays the name of the activity, not the course. 

Solution 1:  Name the activity the same as the course.

Solution 2:  Create a custom field and use that as the course name and put the [ ] text in the messages.

If you always want the custom field to, add the [ ] text to the language pack.  Make sure all your courses use the same language pack (we were using English, I switch the site to English US but some of our courses were forced to English...so problems). If you already have a bunch of f2f activities created, you will either have to manually make the change to each one or delete the activities and recreate them, the language pack changes don't copy into already existing stuff for whatever reason.

Solution 3 (maybe):  I was looking at language packs and I think  {$a->coursename} should work.  Maybe no [ ]?  I saw that in the message that goes out when you get bumped from wait list to booked list.  Everything else is [ ] but maybe not that?

by Dave Henderson -

Hi Mary,

Thanks for your assistance in this.

Solution 1 - The way we have got the F2F set up, we don't want to add the name of the course (It will make things to long winded)

Solution 3 - Didn't work, it just displays '{$a->coursename}' on the messages

Solution 2 - May get us out of trouble, I have played with t a bit, although I have to leave it, (my holidays are calling me) 

I have tried quickly with existing courses, but the messages return "Course:         [session:course]"

I created a whole new F2F and it seemed to work, although the formatting is out.  This is going to hurt as I have over 30 courses, 

and each course has 8 f2f activities in them (each F2F activity is setup for each state we train in).

by Melanie Scott -

Hmmm...I just checked mine and it seems to be working as advertised. 

Did you book/register yourself or someone and look at the email?  Make sure there are no spaces inside the brackets?  It is case sensitive, so if you capitalized course in the field name, it would break to have it lower case (and vice versa).

by Dave Henderson -

Hi Melanie,

I have finally got around to some testing and findings are:

{$a->coursename}  and [{$a->coursename}] do not work on the emails.

I have tried creating a brand new F2F activity, and then create a session and even doing it this way doesn't work.

When testing, I have another 'Standard' user which I register and test emails

It seems that the F2F activity emails only pull information from the activity and not the parent course.

Regards,

by Melanie Scott -

Well, the {$a->coursename} was a long shot.  You might just add a field to your F2F plugin and use it for course name...add it to the mail text and it should take care of it.  Good luck!