Making a Point Based Course?

Making a Point Based Course?

by Brandon Biggs -
Number of replies: 2

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I'm trying to create a course that requires 500 points to pass each section. Each section has activities that are different point values (100, 50, 15...) and a student gets that amount of points when they pass or complete an activity.

The course is completed when all sections have 500 or more points.

I have been looking at points and scales, but neither seem to be able to do this. It looks like a hack may be to assign a scale to each activity and if a student gets a passing score, have the scale be the number of points. But I don't know where to go from there.

How do I do this? What documentation should I read?

Thank you,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brandon Biggs

Re: Making a Point Based Course?

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

You could consider is having a gradebook category for each section of content in the course. Then add a Page module (which could simply be text that congratulates the students for completing the section) to the end of each section of content and restrict the page module to be available only once students have earned a certain amount of points for that gradebook section. Then you can set the course completion to be dependent upon the students opening each of the "page modules" that are in the sections. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Brandon Biggs

Re: Making a Point Based Course?

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Agree with John, generally.  Keep in mind...if you have some activities that have a required score, setting a course grade to pass might undermine that--if there are 500 points and 5 activities where you want 80% or better to pass each activity.  With a required course grade of 400 (80%), a participant could score 50/90/100/100/70 and still 'pass' with 410 points--and that is with two failed activities.  You might want to add activity completion requirements as well that, using John's example, only allow the last thing to display when you reach each requirement. 

And be clear about the requirement--you must have 80% on each activity AND 80% overall.  Sometimes students try to game the system.

Most activities have a grade by default (either one assigned on completion--quiz, scorm, lesson--or one you give manually--forums, glossary or assignments).  You can set restrictions to require specific scores/completion before the next one is done as well.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)