Upgrade goes to install screen

Upgrade goes to install screen

by Ronald Vyhmeister -
Number of replies: 4

I'm trying to upgrade from 3.2 to 3.5... running on Ubuntu 16.04... moving from one machine to another

This is what I did

1. made all the backups (of course)
  2. copied moodledata and moodle directories, restored database
  3. tested everything in 3.2, and it works fine. 

Then for the upgrade:

1. moved the /var/www/html out of the way
  2. uncompressed 3.5 into /var/www/html
  3. copied the config.php from the working install

At that point, I get the installation screen. What have I done wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ronald Vyhmeister

Re: Upgrade goes to install screen

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Moodle can't see the database. So... the database settings in config.php don't point (correctly) to the database you think/hope they do. Check the name and permissions match properly at both ends.

In reply to Ronald Vyhmeister

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
In addition to what Howard has suggested ...

When you put the config.php file back into the apache root (/var/www/html/), did file permissions/ownerships get changed?

What are permissions on config.php ... it must have at least 'read' for the owner of the file ... which in Ubuntu is www-data (I think).

-r--------. 1 www-data www-data 1087 Sep  1 15:45 config.php

If moodle cannot find nor read config.php it assumes new installation, me thinks, rather than recognizing new code and sending you to upgrade.

BTW, since you have linux, in admin/cli/ of code there are cli scripts only that will do the upgrade ... takes apache out of the loop then.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Ken Task

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes it does - that would indeed be the other possibility; no (or unreadable) config.php

Average of ratings: Useful (1)