Quiz

Backup of question database is huge

Picture of Tom Denton
Backup of question database is huge

Hi, and by huge I mean Gigabytes! We have a very large site with tens of thousands of users and thousand+ courses. Our question database contains around 2-3000 unique questions and most are at system level as they are shared. All this works fine.

We use backup and restore to create a duplicate course for different schools for example.

However, when we run a backup (and select the option to backup questions) things recently started to run very slowly and finally we realized the questions table in the database was enormous.

What seems to happen is that all backups contain the entire database of questions and when restored these are duplicated so the number of questions effectively increases exponentially! We have a massive AWS server so have managed so far!!! However, we have recently had to use SQL to delete unused questions but this soon doubles up again.

Has anybody any ideas or come across this or anything similar before? We are on the fully patched 3.5 version.

Thanks

Tom

Average of ratings: -
C'est moi :-)
Re: Backup of question database is huge
Documentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Hi Tom,

I think you should post in Quiz forum (perhaps just a link to this discussion), because it's heavily related to quiz and question bank. I think Tim Hunt could provide useful informations.

Séverin

Picture of Tom Denton

Thanks Severin, I guess it falls between the two areas or quiz and backup but we will see what suggestions others have.

Picture of Emma Richardson
Documentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

I have moved this to the quiz forum.

You are right, it is an issue.  I also used to use a system level quiz bank.  After fighting back up and restore timeouts, I ended up moving them all down to the course level.  The result is ironically that my bank is bigger overall but when I backup a course, it only takes those questions.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Picture of Tom Denton

Thanks Emma, it sounds like this is a request for the developers, but it is good to know it is not me doing something strange!!! - i will see if any other suggestions appear.

Picture of Visvanath Ratnaweera
Particularly helpful Moodlers
Why don't you deselect the quiz either in the backup or in the restore process?

Picture of Tom Denton

Because that of course solves the problem of a large backup, but, then the quizzes are not recreated in the new course. The backup seems to need to backup the entire database and the add to it each time.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)