Moodle 3.3 Question bank export to excel

Re: Moodle 3.3 Question bank export to excel

by Rick Jerz -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Very good work.  It appears that you have solved your need.

I think that the beauty of Moodle's XML file (a feature of XML) is that it can be interpreted, and rearranged to fit anyone's needs.

Out of curiosity, which LMS are you working with that needed CSV formatted questions?

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Ian Bier -

Hey Rick

I will pipe in here because this is the thread for me and my issue right now. I am being forced off Moodle sad after 10+ years. Our board only supports one LMS now, D2L. The supported question import field type is csv. I need to get my Moodle question bank (000's of questions) into something that D2L can handle because I can't bear the thought of the alternative (remaking things). There HAS to be a way? (other than paying some guy to convert them for me)

ian

In reply to Ian Bier

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I suggest you ask D2L about this, or the people who forced this decision on you.

(I am surprised that D2L have not created an importer for Moodle XML format, surely it woudl be in their interest to have that feature to encourage users to move?)

Perhaps we should use the example file you attached to make a D2L importer into Moodle? I don't think we have that yet https://moodle.org/plugins/?q=type:qformat

In reply to Ian Bier

by Rick Jerz -

Jean-Michel had done some work with D2L import/export, see this discussion in Moodle.  But I think he created a utility to go from D2L to Moodle, not the other way.  But Jean-Michel might see this discussion and provide his own thoughts.

Tim is correct, talk to D2L and your administration that made this decision.

Alternatively, try to find the source of the questions prior to importing into Moodle.  Maybe the source files are Blackboard, which might be good to import into D2L.  Or, you might look at some of the plug-ins for quiz questions and see if any of these export to a D2L compatible version.

My school aborted its D2L installation, and now is using Canvas.  So I have been out of touch with D2L for around 4 years or so.  

In reply to Ian Bier

by Jon Bolton -

D2L says

You can import course content from supported learning management systems (LMS) and content providers into Brightspace. D2L recommends working with your site administration or D2L Account Manager when importing content from another LMS.

You can also convert packages into importable D2L-formatted packages using separate conversion tools. D2L recommends working with your D2L Account Manager to discuss converting and importing from supported systems.

https://documentation.brightspace.com/EN/brightspace/requirements/all/course_import_course_conversion_support.htm

In reply to Jon Bolton

by Rick Jerz -

The answer, Jon!

Well, it appears to me that even D2L avoids the issue and tells people to work with their account manager, as if this person knows some secret tricks.  Well, maybe they do.  Maybe Ian can tell us where he ends up.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Jon Bolton -

The secret tricks probably involve $$ 🙄

In reply to Jon Bolton

by Ian Bier -

Thanks everyone for the quick responses and thoughts. I have really appreciated the Moodle community over the years and am hopeful that a solution can be found on either end to get those question banks over. The D2L headquarters is in my neighborhood, maybe I should start there.  

I imagine as Jon said, that the D2L solution will involve $$, and I prefer the community approach of Moodle to making a solution together.

In reply to Ian Bier

by Rick Jerz -

@Jon, you are probably on target with $$.

Well Ian, maybe the community here will be able to help (for free.)  Realize that Moodle is free, but that your school chose to pay for its LMS, D2L.  So, since your school obviously has money, it should be willing to pay to have question banks converted.

As a suggestion, maybe a third-party quiz development tool, like Repondus or ExamView, might be able to read the Moodle question bank and then convert it to a format that is acceptable to D2L. I have an old copy of ExamView, which has come in handy at times to get questions into Moodle.  I haven't tried to go the other way. 

In reply to Ian Bier

by Margaret Matthias -

i came across this - https://community.brightspace.com/servlet/fileField?entityId=ka56100000090JlAAI&field=Attachment__Body__s.  It's a word document but it contains a link to tool where you can copy and paste and it will convert the text to the correct format and includes instructions for uploading to D2L.  Reminds me of the WebCT parser.  When we first moved from that to Moodle, the parser was very handy.  Export from Moodle (XHTML format), copy and paste into word, maybe a macro here or there or find and replace to do the bulk clean up and then use the formatting in the doc to put the text into a format that D2L will recognize.  If you can get the csv pluggin for Moodle that could handle the multiple choice questions and then use the doc for any questions that are not multiple choice.