RSS feeds not updating

RSS feeds not updating

by James Depow -
Number of replies: 10
I have RSS feed but some are not updating.  For example, Stephen Downes feed updates regularly (I think), but the CBC (top stories: http://rss.cbc.ca/topstoriesnews.xml) and the Globe and Mail (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/generated/rss/BN/International.xml) don't.  They are stuck on the same headlines from January 3. 

Interestingly, when I use the same rss feeds (just added) on my test site (same version of Moodle: Moodle 1.5.3 (2005060230)) , the headlines are current.

Any thoughts as to why?

Thanks,

Jim
Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Depow

Re: RSS feeds not updating

by Erik Ringmar -
Hi James,

I've noticed they update with quite a lag.  An hour or so.  Perhaps the problem is that you don't have enough items listed.  If you have 5 items and allow 5, the one you add might not show up.

cheers,

Erik
In reply to Erik Ringmar

by Andrew Wojtowicz -

i'm having the same problem.  i'm trying different aggregators too.  bloglines and sharpreader.  so it's a moodle problem.  it can take an hour to show a post.  whats the best setting to get these posts to show up fast?

thanks

In reply to Andrew Wojtowicz

by James Depow -
Hi Andrew,

I am not sure my problem was Moodle.  It appeared that one feed was stuck on January 3 so I deleted the feeds and reset them.  Also, we had a major power failure at about that time and whether or not this contributed to the problem or was just coincidental is unknown. 

They are working fine now.smile

Regards,
Jim

In reply to James Depow

by Andrew Wojtowicz -

so you mean if you do a new posts it goes right to your aggregator?  mine takes hours to show up in bloglines for example.  plus we tried 3 other aggregators and they are all the same.  so i know it's moodle thats slowing them down.

thanks

andrew

In reply to Andrew Wojtowicz

by Matt Cromwell -
I'm not 100% certain, but I believe that Moodle RSS feeds are only updated everytime the cron job is run. My IT guy would know how often ours runs, but I believe it's not less than an hour. I wouldn't suggest setting lower either since it automatically logs-out everone who's online when it's run.

So, if that's contributing to the lag in RSS updates from Moodle, then I'm not sure there's anything that can be done about it.
In reply to Matt Cromwell

by Chris Lamb -

I'm not sure what does cause RSS feeds to update, but I don't think it's cron because I haven't set cron up to run on our Moodles yet and the RSS feeds update themselves (though I don't know how often).

Is this right that cron logs everyone out?  It's the first I've heard of it, and it would seem to be a major inconvenience, especially if you've got cron running more often in order to keep emailed forum posts reasonably up to date, as suggested somewhere in the documentation.

Regards

Chris

In reply to Chris Lamb

by Ray Lawrence -
Hi,

RSS feeds from Moodle require a Cron job. Updating of external feeds displayed within Moodle are subject to the mechanisms in use in the originating site.

If the cron job is logging everyone out each time it runs then something is wrong.

Ray
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Matt Cromwell -
Fascinating,
I had read it somewhere on the forum that cron does that, and it's true for our server for sure. It was actually a major time-saver when we had locked ourself out of the admin page that I could run the cron and return to the front-page as a guest.

The cron definitely logs us out on our Windows 2003 IIS server. Perhaps it does on Windows and not on Linux or Apache... no idea, I'll have to check with IT about that.
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Matt Cromwell -
Ray, do you have any suggestions for where we could look to see why cron is logging people off?

After reading several posts about forum emails and RSS I see that I need to make sure that cron is running often.

Thanks,
Matt C.
In reply to Matt Cromwell

by Ray Lawrence -
Hi Matt,

Sadly I don't. But I expect someone with the requisite technical expertise will happen along soonish ..... smile

(Cron frequency: I did think that 1 hour was rather long i.e. potentially up to an hour before posts (and other items) are sent, assuming a 30 minute period for relection).

Ray