upgrading on windows

upgrading on windows

by Diamond Vogel -
Number of replies: 4

we have version3.2.1 with php 5.6 and are trying to update everything. it looks like its running on apache 3.24 and I dont have a clue how to get any of it updated. The instructions just say extract the files into the directory and copy over the config file. that doesnt work, all i get is a blank page.

Can someone please help with some step by step instructions.

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Diamond Vogel

Re: upgrading on windows

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I don't know anything about Windows so can't help you directly but... as soon as you hit Moodle 3.4 (and 3.5) you'll need to upgrade PHP. PHP 7 is now a requirement. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Moodle can work with PHP 5.6 only up to Moodle 3.3, that's the latest version of Moodle you can use without needing to upgrade PHP. Moodle 3.4 onwards requires PHP 7.0 or higher.

So upgrading to Moodle 3.3 (which still has security support) could be an easier short term route whilst you determine the exact steps needed.

To upgrade to Moodle 3.5 you'll need to identify the steps needed to upgrade PHP to 7.0 or above. The exact steps will vary with how your server is configured so step-by-step instructions can't really be given. The steps will include:

1. Downloading PHP 7.1 (Thread Safe) and extracting it to a folder alongside your existing PHP folder (e.g. you may have C:\PHP and C:\PHP-71).
  2. Copying the php.ini from your PHP 5.6 folder to the new folder and searching this file for any explicit path locations, updating these for the new PHP folder).
  3. Finding the relevant Apache config file (probably httpd.conf) and changing the the location of the PHP DLL file for the new version.

This a rough guide from memory. You'll find better articles on the Web about Apache and PHP on Microsoft Windows. You could separately update PHP (and Apache too if you need to) from getting Moodle updated if this simplifies things.

The most important recommendation if you're unfamiliar with this is to test the update steps on a non-production site before trying to upgrade your site.

There are consultants and support companies out there if that level of assistance is required.

In reply to Leon Stringer

by Diamond Vogel -

Thanks for the reply. I was able to get the server updated to php 7 but then found out its not compatible with mysql. I think I will end up just leaving in for now. its a barely used system anyway.  I do appreciate the information it certainly helped me to make the decision to just leave it alone.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

php 7 is compatible with mysql...you just need to upgrade that too...in case you come back...which we all think you should! ; )