IIS  8.5.9

PHP 5.5.11

MySql 5.6.37

Moodle 3.0.2

Windows Server 2012 R2 standard - x64

IIS  8.5.9

PHP 5.5.30

SQL Server 2014 std

I need to upgrade them, but all the docs refer to Linux... would you mind to share a how to on these environments or is it better to just migrate?

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Edgar Correa

Re: upgrading moodle in windows server

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

The process is actually pretty much the same.  Check compatibility, backup, download the new code, copy over config.php file and any plugins and go to site to prompt the upgrade process.  As a linux user, I would say migrate but there are a lot of people running Moodle successfully on Windows.  Linux is said to be more efficient with better performance...I personally despise Windows so I will probably never try it to see if there is actually a performance difference!! ; )

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Edgar Correa -

Thanks. I'd also prefer to Linux and you are right, there is a performance difference sad

The problem is that when I got here they already had everything up and running 

I'll give it a try tho' smile

In reply to Edgar Correa

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

if properly setup, there is no performance difference between both, but anyway, method remains exactly same as of linux system, you may have to turn web server off during renaming the new moodle folder.

In reply to Edgar Correa

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Well, have resisted responding but just have to point out some things ... one of which you have already pointed out .... there is more info on Linux based moodle (Ubuntu to be specific) than Windows.   Usman is one of the very few that responds to Windows issues (many excellent videos and responses, from what I can tell).

Performance aside ... even  though it's an important decision ... that's initial ... IMHO sometimes it's (many things Moodle) tip of the iceburg ... for coming down the pike for any Moodle are updates and upgrades.   IMHO, best methods for those ... git.

What's interesting ... Microsoft bought GitHub ... however from what I read, git is difficult to use  on Windows for some reason ... that will change, I hope - for Windows users.  And from what I understand, MS is kinda pushing for "powershell" to which one can add bash?   Hmmm ... that's a linux thing.   And MS is actually involved in a Linux of their own (shim for those who host Ubuntu on Azure), MSSQL on Linux, and recently announced open sourcing one of their well known (?) apps.

My crystal ball isn't any clearer than anyone else's, but .... things sure do look like leaning towards Linux.

Could go on with this 'semi-rant' and 'advocacy' response, but shall resist.

Just  2 cents worth. smile

'spirit of sharing', Ken