General discussion

Emoji triplets: Random vs Manual selection

Picture of Noel De Martin
Emoji triplets: Random vs Manual selection

I wanted to bring this up during the next community call, but since I won't be able to attend I decided to post it here to talk about it.

From the screencasts recorded last month, there was one thing in particular that called my attention, and that was how the emoji triplets are assigned. I like the idea to have them as permanent identification, but since they are something so relevant to identity I was surprised to see that they are assigned randomly. I guess it depends on the person, but for someone like me, that could boost my registration time from 1 minute to 30.

I have been thinking about reasons to have it so, and I thought about what's happened with Twitter handles. Nowadays it's difficult to create a new Twitter account that makes sense if it doesn't include any obscures terms. And I guess that's one reason to assign emojis randomly, so that less popular emojis aren't left hanging. But other than that I really couldn't think on anything else. Maybe it's to prevent emoji combinations that can be inappropriate?

Depending on the importance of this, some security measures also have to be implemented from a technical point of view to prevent manual selection. If the shuffling is only done in the client side, that'd be easy to hijack. And if it isn't and some throttling mechanism is implemented, it can become frustrating for users that don't find a combination they like.

In any case, I guess this discussion came up at some point when developing the prototypes, what do you think?

Picture of Doug Belshaw
Re: Emoji triplets: Random vs Manual selection

Hi Noel, that's a really good point actually. I think I'd probably be equally as choosy about a permanent collection of emojis that represent me.

Is there an opportunity here to make this a value-added service? I can remember back in the year 2000 when I bought my first mobile phone and I got to choose my phone number. I was a student so chose from the free options, but there were 'bronze', 'silver', and 'gold' options which meant that, for a fee, I could choose one that was easier to remember.

Would you like to add this to our Changemap? Sorry you can't make the office hours later today. It would have been an interesting discussion to have synchronously!

Picture of Noel De Martin

I'm not sure it would be a good idea to have it as a paid service. Since this will be one of the first things users will see when interacting with the platform, I don't think it would be appropriate to ask them right off the bat. The registration process is one of the most critical parts of an application, since all the users have to go through, and it's important to remove as much friction as possible there.

Offering the option after the sign up process would clash with the idea of this representing a unique, immutable identity. So I would just decide if it's possible to choose the emojis or not, but I wouldn't complicate it further (I think it'll already be complicated for most users to understand what that field means).

Picture of Doug Belshaw

Yes, you're probably right about that Noel. I was just thinking out loud about what users might be interested in paying for. My son and I have been playing 'Fortnite' which is free to get started with, but with paid (non-essential) 'upgrades'!

Thanks for adding the suggestion to the Changemap! https://changemap.co/moodle/moodlenet/task/2347-manual-selection-of-emoji-triplets/