Help With Messaging

Help With Messaging

by Brad O. -
Number of replies: 3

Hello,

We have recently upgraded to a new Moodle server running 3.5. I have heard from a few professors that they aren't receiving messages that they send to their class.

Behavior: 

Go to Participants > Select All > Message

Result: 

In the previous version of Moodle (3.3.x) the professor would get an e-mail since they were among those selected users. It seems that is no longer the case from my testing and their reports in Moodle 3.5. Is there a way to restore that capability?

Also, it seems like now when professors message their class in this way, by default the students won't receive the e-mail if they're signed into Moodle. Is there a way to change the default  notification preferences for all users?

Thanks so much!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brad O.

Re: Help With Messaging

by Brad O. -

So the issue is the way Moodle handles messaging preferences now. By default if a user is online they will not receive an e-mail. My most important question then would be is there a way I can change this default option so that all users always receive an e-mail from online messaging from one user to another? They can always disable it if they want later, but I'd like to set that as the default since we, as a campus, don't message very often.

In reply to Brad O.

by Jacques Monnard -

We have the same issue here after upgrading from 3.3 to 3.5. And some of our teachers find this disturbing. Apparently, when a teacher sent a message to all users, the fact that she received the message gave her a confirmation that it had been distributed correctly. This is no longer the case, so an option to force the distribution of messages to "self" would be welcome.

Regarding the messaging preferences : under "Site administration/Plugins/Message outputs/Default message outputs/Personal messages between users", you can define the default options for messaging notifications. If you change the options here, they will be applied to all users who haven't changed their message preferences (please somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

In reply to Jacques Monnard

by Brad O. -

Jacques,

Thank you for your reply, and you're right, this did fix the issue!

Now that we have identified that the problem is that professors weren't receiving the e-mail message because this Moodle notification setting was set to not send an e-mail message to an active user, and you have shown me how to change that for all users, things are back to working as they were before.

Thanks again!