Wiki image upload browsing

Wiki image upload browsing

by Carl Kennard -
Number of replies: 11

Hello,

When I set up a Wiki as the administrator, the html editor I get allows me to browse for images. However when I tested the wiki by signing on as a student and tried to add pictures this was not available and images could only be added by typing in a URL. Some of the students may not be computer literate enough to understand what this means. Is there any way I can alter the wiki settings so they can also browse for images in the same way as an administrator?

Thanks,

Carl.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Carl Kennard

Re: Wiki image upload browsing

by Carl Kennard -

Hello,

I'm still having problems with this and would be grateful if anyone could offer some ideas on how to solve this.

Thanks,

Carl.

In reply to Carl Kennard

by Jim Proctor -
Any update offline on this problem?  Any workaround?  We are having the same problem (1.5.3+; Wiki 2005031000).

Thanks,

Jim

In reply to Jim Proctor

by Mark Schumann -
I had the same problem.  My workaround involved allowing binary files to be uploaded, then copying the link of the newly uploaded image, and pasting it into the url of a new image.  
In reply to Carl Kennard

by Christian Carls -
We experience the problem too.

Is it a common problem? Is there a solution?

regards

Christian
In reply to Christian Carls

by Daniel Hoffmann -
Yes in Version 2006041201 I have still this problem using images and files too. Is this a bigger problem to fix it?
In reply to Daniel Hoffmann

by Daniel Hoffmann -
In the German forum we discuss this problem too and ithers have the same. It was hard to explain, these screenshots make it easier to understand.
Admin-view
Admin-view
Students-view:
Students-view
All rights are set to upload and browse files and images for students.
Using E-Wiki Editor everything is all right.
Best wishes
Daniel
In reply to Daniel Hoffmann

by Carl Kennard -

Hi,

We're having problems with this issue. From the other threads I've read the advice seems to have centred on typing the URL of the picture in. Unfortunately, I don't think some of our users will understand how to do this and be put off by the lack of an option allowing them to browse their hard drive.

Has anyone found a way around this problem?

Carl.

In reply to Carl Kennard

by Nigel Metcalfe -
Hi Carl,
I have attached a set of notes I prepared for our students/pupils to use. This appears to work.
In addition to the info. in the notes:
1) You must allow binary files
2) All images being uploaded into the same course should have different file names even if they are going into different wikis

The information above and the information in the notes has been derived through trial and error. I hope you find it useful.

You might also find the following useful: If you run Windows XP there is a useful 'powertoy' you can download which makes it easy to shrink .jpg files.
Download here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe
Run the setup program.
Now open a .jpg image. Right click on it and choose 'resize pictures' from the menu. Select the size you require....

A custom size you might want to use is 480x360

The file is saved in the original folder as "filename(custom)"

Regards,

Nigel
In reply to Nigel Metcalfe

by Catheryn Cheal -
Thank you Nigel. This was very helpful. We're on 1.5.3. Unfortunately when I get to the part where the URL is supposed to come up on a dark page, I only get a blank white page--no URL.

I don't think the image file size is a problem because we've upped that quite a bit. I tried this on Firefox on both PC and Mac and the same thing happens--a white page instead of the URL. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
Cathy
In reply to Catheryn Cheal

by Nigel Metcalfe -
Cathy,
changing the size of files allowed does not appear to affect the wiki...

Try shrinking a .jpg file to about 25 - 30KB and see if that will upload.

Regards,

Nigel