Moodle increase size

Moodle increase size

by Yoel Gutierrez -
Number of replies: 3

Hello, 

I hope anyone is able to help me. I was assigned the tasks to implement a Moodle Portal for internal use of the IT department, we have been working for about 6 months and is working great. Now the main company wants to roll this to the whole company. So now I have the task to get more information on how to create a Moodle environment for about 4500 Associates. 

Right now what I have in place is a VM with 2 vCPU, 4GB memory, and 80GB for Hard Disk Space.

The questions I have are as follows:

1. What Virtual Server Specs do I need for about 4500 users? It will definitely not be all 4500 users using the system at once, but I need to make a budget on a business end to see what needs to be implemented.

2. Most of the software and databases we use run on Microsoft SQL and IIS.   I know that the recommendation for Moodle is to be in MySQL or MariaDB, but I will like to know if, from the enterprise environment is possible is a good practice to keep it in Linux and MySQL or is a good recommendation to move it to a Windows Server with IIS and MSSQL

3. From the enterprise standpoint,  I know there are other platforms that are open source but only if they are not implemented in a large scale environment. Do I have restrictions (users, instances, etc) to implement this in the large corporation?

4. Apart from support forums, what other support is available? Does Moodle have support services available for purchase? What are the costs, if any?

I am looking for as much information as possible to present it to my company and I truly appreciate your help in this matter.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Yoel Gutierrez

Re: Moodle increase size

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

1. You are in the lucky position of having a working system. You know how many active users you have now and what hardware you have. What have you done to establish how it is performing in this system? You can use this information to scale it up for your new requirements. We can't give you absolute figures as it depends on what these 4500 users are doing.

2. I would suggest that in an ideal world you stick to Linux. If you can't support Linux then Moodle will run on Windows if you like. 'Enterprise' is a marketing word. It doesn't mean anything wink

3. No restrictions. 

4. Yes. You can approach a Moodle Partner. They all have their own support arrangements and pricing structures.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Moodle increase size

by Yoel Gutierrez -

Thank you for your response. 

1. thank you

2. Thank you. I will submit my recommendation to stay in Linux

3.  what I mean by the enterprise is a large number of users. Now we are just 75 people. but if we roll this out to the main company will be around 4500.

4. I will research on that thank you very much for your help.