Quiz: Pull a certain number of random questions from sub categories?

Quiz: Pull a certain number of random questions from sub categories?

by Rebecca Ritchie -
Number of replies: 2

Hi,

I'm working with a lecturer and trying to build a quiz that:

• has 3 categories of question types (eg Constants A; Constants B; Vowels)
  • they want to pull 10 random questions from each category (which has about 20 per category)
  • each question is a subcategory, as each question has 6 possible answer sets

I've been playing around with this and can't find a way to specify how many questions are pulled per sub-category, so I end up with eg. Q5 answer set 1 and Q5 answer set 3 being pulled.

Would anyone know of a way to do this?

Many thanks,

Rebecca

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rebecca Ritchie

Re: Quiz: Pull a certain number of random questions from sub categories?

by Dave Sherwin -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Rebecca - your on the right track. This functionality works for us as we are experimenting more with using the Quiz Module to build Common Formative Assessments (CFA) that teachers can use to assess their students understanding of concepts.

Below is how we have setup our Question categories for Social Studies Mapping CFAs. This works great for us, we just need to make sure that we have setup all the categories to place each question that belongs. The when using the random question type functionality when building quizzes you just select the option to allow you to insert random questions and how many you want from that category.

What I am curious about is if we add questions to the category, will the quiz automatically use the new questions added to the category when student re-attempt the quiz. Because we are just starting to use this functionality.

Below is a screenshot of both the Categories and how the quiz is setup. Hope this is works for you...

Attachment MoodleRandomQuestions.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Dave Sherwin

Re: Quiz: Pull a certain number of random questions from sub categories?

by Rebecca Ritchie -

Thanks Dave!  Much appreciated.