I must search by name!

I want to be able to search by id and add users to group as before

can anyone help me in this.

thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to m question

Re: problem in adding students to groups in Moodle 3.5

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I could be wrong, but I don't ever recall being able to search by ID. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by m question -
you are right

I meant username

In reply to m question

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

...or username!

In reply to Howard Miller

by m question -

you are right again, it was the email

I could search before by email, then add users(in moodle 2.7 & 3.1)

now the only way is to search by full name which is not practical in my situation

here how I added users to group in moodle 3.1

searching using email to add users to group in older versions of Moodle

In reply to m question

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

You do not have to search by "full name." Just start typing the first one or two letters of a user First or Lastname. Lowercase is okay. Moodle will immediately start filtering the list of Potential members for anyone whose first or last names start with the letters you type.

In reply to AL Rachels

by m question -

Adding users to groups in Moodle was really hard and it just got harder

I have list by students ID (which are emails too) ,so in old versions I was searching by student ID and potential users show ,and I would add student to group .

And since I search by student ID ,only one potential users appeared in potential members list.

Now it added an extra step which is not necessary or practical in my case

Having same first name and family name is really common here

So searching by name will lead to two or three users , and I can not know which one to add to the group in the "adding members" interface.

Also ,Moodle omit "no group" filter to search by in participant list

In reply to m question

by Eric Hagley -

I would suggest you make your groups and then upload them in a csv file. This is very easy and a one off thing. If the students are already in the course you only have to use "update existing" and those in the course will be put in groups. Surely this is easier than the method you are trying to use.

In reply to Eric Hagley

by m question -

we are using external DB plugin to manage the enrolment

this plugin is really great, however, it only enrolls users to their courses; but not to their groups

if I used csv file method (which I did in one semester& I had so many problems) the enrolment method will change from external db to manual

so the external db plugin will not manage any change in the enrolment and I must manage enrolment manually which is not practical.

there is no way to upload csv file to enroll students to groups in course level without changing the enrolment method since they are already enrolled by another plugin.

I had many threads for this issue like this thread & this one 

searching by name is really not a good idea, searching always should be by a unique field 

In reply to m question

Re: adding students to groups in Moodle 3.5 - searching by email

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello,

You can still search for users by email in Moodle 3.5 by making sure that email is ticked for the setting 'Show user identity' in 'User policies' in the Site administration. Please see the documentation User policies for more details.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Ian Bell -

This indeed was helpful. Thanks for sharing

In reply to Helen Foster

by m question -

Thank you, I really appreciate your help

is there a way to filter students who are not enrolled in any group as before

Regards,

In reply to m question

by Pixi Flyer -

Hi I am looking for exactlt the same, or at least the ID of "no groups" to do a DB query

In reply to Helen Foster

by Pixi Flyer -

Hi there is there anyway to export users in "no groups" so that I can do a bulk import of those and allocate them to a group.. Over 8000 students, some in self based email registration (email group) and some from OAuth2 group, the rest i need to put into a Student group but i cannot export that list! 

You help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!