Moodle Global Search Database Error

Moodle Global Search Database Error

by Larry Simpson -
Number of replies: 5

Today I tried to setup global search in Moodle. Everything seemed to go well, but when I run a search I get a database error. Here's a link to some notes explaining the error. 

I'm new to Moodle, so any ideas about how to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Larry Simpson

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Larry Simpson

Re: Moodle Global Search Database Error

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Am not a developer, but recently had to rebuild a site with versions 3.4 and 3.5 instances.

Had troubles with getting Solr Search running ....

Docs on Moodle

Setting up Solr
https://docs.moodle.org/35/en/Global_search
    The latest Solr 5 available version is the recommended one.
    Moodle supports Solr server from 4.0 onwards, although you can only use the Solr schema setup script that we provide with Moodle from Solr 5. The latest Solr 5 available version is the recommended one; the same will apply to Solr 6 once it is released.
    Solr 7 is not currently supported as the field type 'int' has been removed.

http://apache.org/dist/lucene/solr/
one can find a 5.5.5 version and a 6.6.5 version

I made the mistake of attempting 7.4.0 ... should know better ... a 'point 0' :\

While I could get the 7.4.0 installed, could never generate a moodle34 or moodle35 index and thus never really get the moodles setup.

Uninstalled 7.4 ... manually (ugh).

So looked up my old notes and decided to use a 5.5.5 version.

Success!

'spirit of sharing', Ken

by Ken Task -

And a follow up ... the screen captures shared in your link ... 1st one showed 'checks'.  You then said you address those and shared a 2nd screen capture which looks to me to be exactly the same ... the 'checks' are still there.   Mistake?

There are some command line scripts located in moodlecode/admin/cli that will help you set correct character set and collation to your DB.   As I understand it, character set and collation settings are at 3 levels ... the database, the tables in the database, and the columns in the tables.   Those CLI scripts are a time saver as they recurse down into the columns of the tables themselves.

check_database_schema.php, mysql_collation.php, mysql_compressed_rows.php, and
mysql_engine.php are the specific scripts.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Larry Simpson -

Thanks, Ken. I sent your post to my hosting company's technical support team. I'll let you know if it fixes the problem.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Larry. Sorry I am not a technical person so I can't help in that respect (I'll leave that to Ken) but I just wanted to clarify - as you are using Moodle 3.5 - which search engine are you using for your Global search? Knowing that with 3.5 you can use "simple search" and not need Solar.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ken Task -

@Larry ... think I'd opt for Simple Search and skip solr.  That being the case, think fixing those 'checks' for database would be more important now.

@Mary ... thanks for reminding ... was so focused on the other couldn't see the forest for the trees! :\

'spirit of sharing', Ken