awarding accumlative badges

awarding accumlative badges

by Edward Bolton -
Number of replies: 7

i am working in Moodle 3.5 and i am helping an academic with awarding badges to students for hours completed. 

Each student must complete 8hrs of research each year. To verify this the student will submit the work to be validated by the academic. However the student may not complete all 8 hrs all in one go. As an incentive the academic wants to use badging to recognise the students current process. As such i have been asked to create a number of badges showing how much research they have achieved up to this point.  

i need a system whereby the academic can attribute hours to each student an when they cross each threshold (e.g 2hr, 4hrs, 6hrs, 8hrs) they will be issued a badge. At the end of the year each student will have all four badges.  how do i do this, i want it to be as automated as possible? 

I have experimented with assignments and linking grade to hours and then using course completion to issue a badge.  e.g course is complete when assignment 1 has been completed. if student has completed the course and got a minimum score of 4 issue them the 4hr badge.  However this only works once as the student can only complete the course once. This means that if they were to submit further evidence the system would not issue any further badges. 

Thanks in advance. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Edward Bolton

Re: awarding accumlative badges

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You say you are using course completion? Could you not use activity completion and have all four assignments in the same course, and each time they complete one, they get a badge?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Edward Bolton -

i cannot use activity completion as it only gives an complete/ incomplete output 

in this example i have four students each submit some evidence 

student 1 gives in 2hr 

student 2 gives in 4hr

student 3 gives in 6hr 

student 4 gives in 8hr 

from this one submission how to issues the badges accordingly so that the  badges are issued represent the number of hours of research conducted?  If i used activity completion they would all have completed the activity and would all get the same badge 

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Ah I misunderstood -you are wanting to award different badges based on different hours of work produced in the same activity, sorry. (How are you assessing hours owr work? Is that simply by the teacher's grading?)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Edward Bolton -

Yes, essentially the teacher will award hours based on the evidence provided.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Create your assignment.  Then create 8 quizzes or labels (one for each hour).  Make the quizzes or labels restricted dependent on the grade for the assignment.  So quiz or label one only shows up if they have a grade of 1 (1 hr), quiz or label two shows up if the grade is 2 (2 hr).  Then instruct the student in the label or quiz title to complete that either by answering one simple quiz question (Did you complete one hour of research? for example) or manually check the completion box by the label.  Issue the badge dependent on the quiz or label completion.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Edward Bolton -

Hi Emma,

Thanks for this, it is really useful.  one additional question. The academic will allow three submission points  over the year. A student may submit 2hr in the first submission, 2hrs in the second submission and 4hrs in the final submission. How would i get that to equate to 8hrs in total? 

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

The best solution would be to allow three separate submissions to the one assignment and have the teacher adjust the grade in one place.

If the teacher has three separate assignments, I think you could still do with nested restrictions where OR is selected instead of AND.  e.g. (A.1 grade = 1 and A.2 grade =2) OR (A.1 grade = 2) - you would have to play with it but I think it is doable.