Lost in themes

Lost in themes

by Steve Wright -
Number of replies: 3
I have been trying to follow the advice in the wiki and other theme-related guides to make alterations to the theme used on our moodle site.  I'm lost and frustrated.

Using the Firefox plugin I thought I had identified the following class as being one place where I would like to change the font colour .headingblock header outline - html is:
<div class="headingblock header outline">Topic outline</div>
However this class appears nwhere in all the style sheets I have searched with dreamweaver (all docs for all themes).

I have tried making other alterations by copying standardlogo, rnaming the folder, adding to the array in config.php:

$THEME->sheets = array('ihr_fonts','ihr_color','ihr_tabs');

but cannot see any changes made, though I'm not sure where they would appear .  IS there a *simple* step-by-step guide to making theme changes?  All i really want to do is change the colour of the text for block titles to red appearing over the gradient background from standardlogo theme.  Can anyone help with how to make this  change which I thought would be simple but instead have been lost in css hell all afternoon...
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Wright

Re: Lost in themes

by steven lyons -
Wouldn't it be nice if there were a good guide to making changes like these! The Firefox plugin is only somewhat useful because Moodle uses an intricate web of inheritance to define its styles, so one often must drill down using very specific selectors to affect the element in question. It took me a month to figure out most of the particulars.

Are you making a custom theme or altering the "standard" theme?

In reply to steven lyons

by Steve Wright -
With a lot more looking through and following the cascade chain I've managed to make some alterations - am really only tweaking an existing theme.

The guide on the wiki IS good, but is a little complex, but so is the whole themes thing - my advice is to work slowly and patiently (whihc I'm not so good at) and follow the chains up.

A good guide is here:
http://hyperdisc.unitec.ac.nz/research.htm

Click on the link to the powerpoint show:
 Stuart Young Creating Moodle Themes (PPT, NZ Moodle Moot, 2005)

Hope that helps - the system is very elegant but therefore arcane...  Good luck!
In reply to Steve Wright

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Steve and Steven,

If you've not done so already, you may wish to consider using Andy Walker's useful and highly recommended css inspector.

Also, you never know, an easy way of making theme changes may be coming very soon! tongueout

PS. You're very welcome to contribute to MoodleDocs Themes and add further explanation. smile