Level Up! - How to remove students

Level Up! - How to remove students

by Tavis Bogue -
Number of replies: 7

I'm setting up a course to be reused from the previous year, but even though I have unenrolled the students from last year, their names still appear in the ladder and report. I want to remove the unenrolled students but I am not seeing how to do that. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tavis Bogue

Re: Level Up! - How to remove students

by S. kavita -
Picture of Testers

Hi,

I think it might be coming from the logs. So make the log last for a day and the next day check the data of it. If everything has been deleted then run the cron and purge all cache of the system. Finally set the log duration as per your requirement.

You can set the log duration from Site administration>Plugins>Level Up>Settings - Logs

I hope this will help you.

Happy Moodling!!!

In reply to Tavis Bogue

by Przemek Kaszubski -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

A wild guess, as I have limited experience with LevelUp, but have you tried resetting the course? In your case you most likely need to wipe it out completely. Simply unenrolling participants is not enough, as their histories remain. Imagine unenrolling someone by mistake and then adding them again. You would not like all the proofs of their work to simply disappear.

Course administration > Reset 

In reply to Przemek Kaszubski

by Tavis Bogue -
Thank you for the replies. I did do a course reset. I will try clearing the logs. 
In reply to Tavis Bogue

by Frédéric Massart ⭐ -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Tavis,

Unenrolling does not remove information about the students automatically, that is likely a bug and we will look into it. However, as advised by others you should probably perform a course reset between your semesters in order to reset the data left behind in Level up! and other plugins.

As an alternative, you can head to Level up! report, and find a button "Reset course data" at the bottom. This will remove everything that was recorded about all your students. If your process removes all past students, then this should work.

The cleanest way for what you're doing is probably to make a fresh copy of your course by performing a backup and restore it as a new course, while excluding student information.

In reply to Frédéric Massart ⭐

by Przemek Kaszubski -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

In principle I don't think unenrolment should erase past data automatically. Such is the case with forum posts, for example. A student may be gone from the course, but their contributions will stay and be visible as normal, within the forum.

For my part - I would rather:

1) Leave the old course alone as an archive and hide it (setting the course dates properly so the course does not bother users any more in the dashboard Course Overview and My Courses sublist in the nav drawer), then start a new course and restore the old course into the new one, omitting user data and overriding its course metadata (including the course opening and close dates) as required.

Alternatively if one really wants the previous course to disappear from the web: 

2) Backup the course with all the user data in it & then reset the course for re-use, possibly clearing the Level Up log if needed. It's this last part that may need addressing by the Level Up devs: making sure that the course reset also erases the Level Up history.

In reply to Przemek Kaszubski

by Tavis Bogue -

That would be an option. I do like to preserve some student data such as test scores. This is the main reason I reuse the course instead of creating a new one.

In reply to Frédéric Massart ⭐

by Tavis Bogue -

"As an alternative, you can head to Level up! report, and find a button "Reset course data" at the bottom. This will remove everything that was recorded about all your students. If your process removes all past students, then this should work."

Thank you! That was the solution I needed. Not sure how I missed that.