Can students choose a competency to attach to an assignment?

Can students choose a competency to attach to an assignment?

از Josh Giesbrecht در
Number of replies: 6

I'd like to use competencies to allow student ownership of learning in a Digital Media Arts course. I want to give students an assignment with a specified technical or content goal, and then let them choose which additional competencies relating to artistic practice, critique / analysis, etc their work also demonstrates.

Is this possible with Moodle competencies?

میانگین امتیازات:  -
In reply to Josh Giesbrecht

Re: Can students choose a competency to attach to an assignment?

از Richard Oelmann در
عکس Core developers عکس Plugin developers عکس Testers

I *think* the tutor would need to add the range of competencies, and then the student could select which one they say they have provided evidence for in the normal way

In reply to Richard Oelmann

از Josh Giesbrecht در

They'd need to add the range of competencies to *what*, the course or the assignment?

Adding at the course level would be ideal for what I'm hoping. I want the student to choose which assignment(s) best demonstrate certain non-technical competencies.

از Shirley Gregorczyk در
عکس Particularly helpful Moodlers

Competencies are created in the Competency Framework.

Existing competencies are "related" to a course.

Courses can automatically "award" a competency when course activities are completed or they can be manually added by an instructor later. I have never tried to award a competency as a student - it may involve adding permissions to the student role.

Best Regards, Shirley

In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

از Josh Giesbrecht در

I think maybe I'm not choosing the right terminology here.

I don't need students to award themselves the competency. I need students to be able to select which competency (out of the list of competencies associated with the course) that a particular submitted assignment should be included as evidence for.

Then I should be able to review the course's associated competencies for that student, and see which assignments they've included as evidence towards that competency.

I haven't yet been able to find this in the student workflow ... am I missing something obvious?

از Ramon Ovelar در

Hello,

Inside the courses, students are not able to select which activities can prove they are competent in a particular competence, but there is another way that can be useful for you: student learning profiles. If a student clicks on Profile > Learning plans, s/he will find, under the list of Learning plans, an option to add evidences (Links, Files). Once the evidence added s/he can link it to any of the competencies included in his/her learning plans.

The problem here is that teachers will not see students' learning plans, as they are outside the courses. Extra permissions will need to be assigned to the person managing the assessment of these competencies. (Look https://docs.moodle.org/35/en/Learning_plan_supervisor , https://docs.moodle.org/35/en/Learning_plan_viewer and https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=370384

Cheers, R

از Shirley Gregorczyk در
عکس Particularly helpful Moodlers

I have seen college level coursework, when the student's selected from the competency offerings for each course which competency they wanted to apply to their rubric.

However, I cannot think of a systemic way of doing this in Moodle.

You could include on the course summary page - a list of each of the competencies. Then add within the course a quiz activity with a single select one question. Each of competency is listed and the student "declares" which competency value is their goal upon course completion.

When the course is successfully completed, the instructor can award the requested competency value.

You would still need to build or the competency framework and relate them to the course. Consider how to build out your scales for the competencies before you implement. Such as; Submitted evidence for this competency, no submitted evidence, alternative evidence was submitted.

Best Wishes,

Shirley