Will linking my mc site to populi give the institution control?

Will linking my mc site to populi give the institution control?

by Sarra Lev -
Number of replies: 11

I have been using my MoodleCloud site to teach courses at an institution that does not use any LMS or CMS. They have now acquired Populi, and I would like to link my courses into their system to avoid having to replicate grades etc. Will this mean that they "own" or manage my material? How much control or access will they have?

Thank you!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sarra Lev

Re: Will linking my mc site to populi give the institution control?

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Good god.. another one... Just visiting their home page, it looks like Populi is another wannabe, its full of self-congratulatory comments from obscure institutions of a theocratic bent. The Tour revealed little but I suspect it is an unsophisticated LMS, little more than uploaded files and a connected gradebook. I doubt anyone knows enough about it to make any serious recommendations, so Sarra, looks like you're the expert - or will be. Please, let us know what you find out, might be helpful for someone else. 

OK, their web site is seriously bland, and incredibly boring, btw,  questions, was there any consultation about this before it was sprung on you? Did anyone do any research into their options? Did anyone get to express a view on this? From having no LMS or CMS, to a system like this is a serious jump. Looks like it is a system trying to be a combination of Student management, student information, student learning and and school management systems all at once, a dangerous practice I would think. I would expect some serious headaches over the next few years. The LMS parts look really basic, but it is hard to tell from a tour with the blinds down. Good luck.   

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Harsh, but ok, there's something faintly depressing about these sites that tell you absolutely nothing and all links lead to, "sign up and an account manager will contact you". I'm quite sure they will big grin

I probably shouldn't say this, but should an American really be using Russian software? evil

In reply to Howard Miller

by Colin Fraser -

Well...

I probably shouldn't say this, but should an American really be using Russian software? evil

Seeing as how the Americans are now sucking up to former enemies and making enemies of former allies, why wouldn't they? egg surprise

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Sarra Lev -

Actually, from using it briefly, it's not bad at the LMS side - not sophisticated, but the interface is user friendly, and the institution I work for is tiny with a faculty that has never encountered an LMS or CMS before, so I imagine sophistication was not the goal of the institution. I will continue to use Moodle as my CMS, so I don't need to worry about that piece of it. Nothing I can do about the choice...so my main goal is to figure out how to work within it.

In reply to Sarra Lev

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I would have to get into the quiz engine, discussion tools, grade book, and assignments to develop an opinion about any new LMS. That an LMS can display (and distribute) web pages is not significant.

I seem to recall that even Apple has their own LMS now.  Haven't looked at that, either.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Ohhh... here we go! :\

Now I won't begin to claim I know all about 'American Politics' ... and our current 'Exec', but I will say this ... just because someone is in the White House, doesn't mean their beliefs truly reflect *ALL AMERICANS* ... that simply isn't true.

Yes, it is humorous sometimes.   I've actually seen 'Funny Money' for current 'Exec' for sale now ... just like 'Hillary Funny Money' and "Bill Funny Money' of old. 

But, at the same time it's very sad ... I come from a military family background and know for a fact, not all "AMERICANS" are in agreement.

Am not offended ... just thought someone who is 'AMERICAN' should speak up! smile

And two cents more for what it's worth ... nginx is authored by who?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_Sysoev

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There are some very good devs doing some very cool stuff in Russia. I really like that part of the world. 

Just for the record big grin

In reply to Howard Miller

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Just for the record and somewhat OT, I spend a considerable part of each year in Russia and speak Russian and guess what -they're just like other humans wink

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Well, I knew that when I hit 'Post' that last item would get responses.  smile

Seems your experiences, Mary, are more recent, but you'd be glad to know that was true 50+ years ago ... amazingly  fairly soon after WWWII!

And ... for the record, there are good devs/people all over the globe ... it's a shame that 'politics' and 'religion' get in the way sometimes.   Just sayin'!

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Colin Fraser -

<off topic> Wow, all of a sudden we're Russian baiting? I thought I was commenting on someone else.... Recent video and pics seen here shows a meeting of two world leaders and really suggest that the orange guy with the fancy hair was not the one running the show. </offtopic> 

It seems that the LMS is the flavour of the month, and we just can't keep up with it all. 

The source of my concern is the I have considered the possibility of a project merging Moodle, Mahara, WordPress, MediaWiki with a school management system, into a single, complete package. There are obvious benefits, but the technologies that we are using are still quite primitive. Let's not forget that we are dealing with rapidly developing technologies mostly less than a generation old, some even more recent. A brief discussion with Martin some time ago suggested that it sounds like a good idea, but the reality is Heisenberg comes into play and the more complex a technology becomes the more prone to error, the less efficient it is. 

So claims from a Company that their product is the "be all and end all of solutions for educational institutions" have to be treated with a huge degree of skepticism.     

I have more recently considered the idea that a series of such applications can be tailored to use the same themes, have a single login, a single permissions set and so on. The issue then remains, how to keep the wrong people out of areas they shouldn't be. The security risks accumulate rather rapidly under these circumstances, so again the scenarios of joining an LMS, an SMS and a SIS with a school administration program just don't play out like they should. 

Btw, I couldn't do these things myself, but I think I know some people who can.... thoughtful

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Howard Miller -

I seem to have started this but I *definitely* wasn't Russian baiting. Russia and Eastern Europe is one of my favourite parts of the world. 

Sorry for any offence caused.