Hi every one

First of all, sorry for my English.

I want to upgrade moodle by following config to version 3.5.1:

OS= windows server2012 R2

php=5.6.32

mysql=5.5

web server=IIS server

moodle version=2.9+

we have alot of courses and user enrolled so before upgrading, I want to know what problems will we face?

thanks in advance

Solmaz

Average of ratings: -
In reply to solmaz naderi

Re: upgrading moodle2.9+ to 3.5.1

by William Stewart -
At the very least, you will need to upgrade your php version to at least php 7. You'll also need to enable some additional extensions.

PHP 7.0, MariaDB 5.5.31 or MySQL 5.5.31 or Postgres 9.3 or MSSQL 2008 or Oracle 10.2

I don't know about the compatibility of any plugins you may be using, but, you can read all of the requirements in the documentation: https://download.moodle.org/releases/latest/.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You will also need to take various interim steps - please see upgrading notes - you cannot upgrade from 2.9 directly to 3.5.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by solmaz naderi -

first, sorry for my English

According to documents, I will upgrade moodle 2.9+  to moodle 3.1 after that upgrade to 3.5. but before starting to upgrade, I must know all of steps and risks that will happen after upgrading (for presenting to my manager) and know solutions. my server has not internet access and i can't upgrade automatically and forced to upgrade manually. fallowing items are some of my guess that will happen:  

1- I'm using Srce 2.2 - Universal Design Theme that there is not newer version at the moodle site, so I will see error in plugin  page. I think i must to download another theme related to version 3.1 and locate in theme folder, and in the setting page must change theme. Am i right?

2- the format of all courses is  "Menutopic format" and there is not newer version to replace and in database at table 'mdl_course' column "format" is menuetopic , after upgrading, moodle dosen't know menutopic because version of this plugin is not compatible with new version, so will see error message! how must I fix this issue?

by solmaz naderi -

any advice?

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Prior to upgrading switch to clean or boost theme and topics course format.  Uninstall those plugins that you know will not be compatible before the upgrade (you can do this by removing the plugin folder or uninstalling from the plugin page).  Then upgrade.  Wait until you get to the latest version before finding and designing another theme and course format.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by solmaz naderi -

I have too many plugins I just mentioned to two of them. what will happen if in plugin page including warning about "to be installed"  ignore and click on update database button? will plugin work or this error stop to completing upgrade?

by Jurgen Gaeremyn -

Hi,

in such a critical environment, what I would do, is mirror your server and first try the upgrade on your copy.

Once it's up and running and figured out all the glitches... you could do it on your live server.

This kind of big upgrade is probably going to give issues. But on the other hand... not upgrading it will also make you run into issues sooner rather than later, especially when PHP 5 will go stale...