Repositories and "trash cleaning"

Repositories and "trash cleaning"

by Anthony newton -
Number of replies: 4

Hi guys, I am using Moodle 3.5 and PHP 7.

I need to upload some files and folders into the Moodledata folder that can be accessed by the teachers so they can add whatever they need to their courses. However, some of these files will remain 'orphaned' until someone requires them. The teachers also want to store lessons they have created (not Moodle lessons but files vids, pics etc.) for a course. But I am, because they are technically orphaned files, whether they will be auto-deleted by the system -or whether, as I have created them in the Moodledata file, they will be resistant to the trash cleaner.

Thanks.

Anthony

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Anthony newton

Re: Repositories and "trash cleaning"

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Perhaps you could set up a File system repository?

Teachers can store files in their Private files

Alternatively, you and all teachers could have access to a single course where all these files are, and they can access them from there for their own use.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Anthony newton -

Hi Mary, thanks for your response.

Sorry, reading my original post back, I realise I was pretty unclear. Setting up a File system repository is exactly what I am doing (that is really what I should have said to start with). I just wanted to check that this folder/repository is not 'cleaned' of orphaned files by the trash-cleaner.

I did think about teachers using their private files, however, the lesson files would need to be shared with other teachers on the course.

Many thanks

Tony

In reply to Anthony newton

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I don't think the file system repository should have its files deleted if they are not used by teachers. 

If teachers want to share files within a course they could simply have a folder of files which is hidden from students on the course page.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Anthony newton -

"If teachers want to share files within a course they could simply have a folder of files which is hidden from students on the course page".

That is an excellent idea! Thank you Mary. smile