Teaching with Moodle

Moodle vs hyperdocs

Picture of Tina Smith
Moodle vs hyperdocs

I am not advocating using hyperdocs instead of Moodle...I get that there is a huge difference...

What I am trying to wrap my head around...since I have zero experience with hyperdocs (only recently learned of them), and have much more experience with Moodle...is how the 2 compare and contrast and what sorts of situations would call for one over the other.

I figure on a forum like this there MUST be teachers here that have experience with both.

So my first thought is that most likely, hyperdocs is for classroom teachers that lack the time, patience and/or tech savvy to tackle Moodle. (Not that I think Moodle is super complicated...but there's definitely a learning curve.)  What I see as a possible problem with them, however, is that I don't see a way to lock down text so that students cannot edit the sections of content that you don't want them to. Maybe it wouldn't be an issue...perhaps older students....or perhaps if you have students working on their own copy...but that just seems like something that would really bug me. 

And it does seem to me that Moodle has a hell of a lot more options to be able to add into the experience...but perhaps some teachers and students prefer the simplicity of hyperdocs?

OR, maybe they are just different, to be used for different purposes, at different times?

I'm just curious what things there are to consider about these 2 options....I am thinking more from the student end. I feel they are both very beneficial...and perhaps just a matter of personal preference? 

But I would love to hear from people that have experience with both, what they feel are the pros and cons of each of these options as far as the student's experience?

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Joost Elshoff
Re: Moodle vs hyperdocs
Particularly helpful MoodlersTesters

Hi Tina,

The Hyperdocs (I had to search the term to learn about it) seem to be more focussed on providing a framework for desiging and deploying learning content using G Suite for Education. Moodle on the other hand is a full-on LMS. I think you could use the basic (and advanced) design framework they provide within a Moodle course to facilitate learning in a richer and more engaging way than with just the Google applications environment. 

It's just that the Hyperdocs seems free or close to free, because of the use of G Suite, and using Moodle (or any other LMS for that matter) requires a more substantial investment for the school organization, it's staff and students in terms of funding and time.

Most of these innovative approaches focus on a target group of teachers who want to create engaging learning but with a very low threshold for entry. 

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Picture of Tina Smith

That’s exactly what I was thinking too. That it’s something simple and easy for the average teacher...whereas Moodle can do the same activities in a more robust way and then some...but requires a lot more learning how to use the program. Whereas most everyone knows how to edit a google doc already.

I suppose the difference for students is that you have to log into Moodle. But that’s certainly not complicated. Especially if they save the password. Plus using the app on iPad... which I’ve heard is much improved lately? I didn’t use it before because it was frustrating...but if it’s better now, i’ll Have to play around with it since my hubby recently got an iPad.

Anyway...if anyone has experience with hyperdocs, i’d Love to hear! They are all the RAGE, apparently, if you do a google search. Lots of articles saying they will change your teaching and all...so there has to be people here that have tried them out...

Mary Cooch
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

I confess this is new to me as well, so I will need to explore it too.

Picture of Tina Smith

Interesting...when I google, it seems to be all over the net as "all the rage"... I suppose it's a US teacher thing. It was a US teacher friend that told me about it. She has her masters in technology. I'm a homeschooler and I see it's only been mentioned once or twice in homeschool groups I'm on, that I've seen...

But everywhere I find on google seems to make it sound like teachers everywhere are "revolutionizing their teaching" with this simple tool...there are even websites to share HyperDocs that have been created by teachers, for free, with each other...  It's fascinating!

Still trying to figure out what all the fuss is about. smile

Mary Cooch
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

I've only used Moodle for individual student courses....are people also using Moodle for collaboration type projects? I imagine that's also possible! I can't see why not....the only tricky part being who's account do they log into...or do they have a group account, maybe?  There must be something to address this?

Indeed, students working together to build their understanding is one of the foundation stones of Moodle. From sharing ideas and media in forums to collaboratively editing a wiki or a Google doc/Onedrive doc (all safely embedded in Moodle) to powerful peer assessment with  a Workshop, to group assignments where each person has to contribute .... each student logs in with their own account and works with their classmates.

Picture of Joost Elshoff
Particularly helpful MoodlersTesters

The advantage of having to login to Moodle would be that tracking of progress (results, input, etc.) is done automatically, whereas a teacher would have to manually process all the results from a Hyperdocs lesson or activity.

So, my guess would be that the Hyperdocs approach mostly covers the learning, but not the learning management and administration. I'm interested in seeing examples of how progress is measured and registered when working with a Hyperdocs approach. I didn't really find anything on this topic on their site.

Picture of Tina Smith

Oh good point! Yes, it seems to me that it is all manual as well.  I especially like the lessons block in Moodle that allows answers to be self corrected as you go...not possible in a doc like this. Everything has to go back to teacher to correct.

Also, the answers are not segregated out from the content, like in Moodle...You get the whole document back together. I suppose many teachers don't mind that...they seem to be loving the whole concept of HyperDocs...and if it works for them, great! I just am interested in learning more to compare. I like to do that. smile

It is a fascinating concept...but so far...for those of us experienced with Moodle...I feel like Moodle offers so much more. But I can see the benefit for non-techie teachers to use Hyperdocs.

ALTHOUGH....I do see that HyperDocs are also specifically about COLLABORATION:

I've only used Moodle for individual student courses....are people also using Moodle for collaboration type projects? I imagine that's also possible! I can't see why not....the only tricky part being who's account do they log into...or do they have a group account, maybe?  There must be something to address this?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Dave Sherwin
Particularly helpful Moodlers

HyperDocs looks like a Google solution to a wiki when you look at the why use a wiki documentation. When you look at the first column explaining HyperDocs. 

In Moodle the wiki activity allows students to collaborate with one another by adding more pages to create a shared wiki pages which can contain embedded links and other content to "show what they know". There is even a comment functionality on each wiki page if users wanted to reflect one what they learned. The beauty of a wiki is that students can simply interconnect their learning to other topics that has been already created by simply uses the [ [topics] ] wiki linking code to connect.

What you will hear is the advantage of HyperDocs is that everyone can work on the same page and see changes instantly. While in a wiki only one user can edit a page at a time and the other users do not see the changes until the page is saved. So question is how much of the collaborative work is done synchronously. My observations of watching user working of GoogleDocs is that 95% of the participates are just watching their screen discussing the edits needed, while a single or two users make changes. What is funny is that the googledoc is projected on a screen, so most of the users are watching the projected screen. So really does everyone need to have access to the same document when working synchronously in the same room?

The advantage of the wiki is that users can simply connect to another topic with just wiki linking with the [ [double brackets] ]. This way the wiki contains all the pages in a single wiki that if designed correctly will interconnect like Wikipedia. So everyones ideas are combined which to me seems more collaborative. Instead of users having numerous tabs open because HyperDocs would open a new tab for every link to multiple separate pages.  While a single Wiki has many pages that can be interconnected.

Of course there is more advantages and disadvantages but that just my 2cents for today...

PS - Interesting fact? I had to put a space between the brackets otherwise the forum created a link?? 

Mary Cooch

Very usefully explained Dave, thankssmile

As for your "Interesting fact", this is because Moodle.org has a filter which links directly to Moodle documentation via double brackets.. So for example I can type double brackets around the word wiki and it takes me straight to the documentation.... see Wiki for example.

This also  has the advantage that it automatically takes you to the latest version of the documentation, currently 3.5 docs, rather than googling docs, coming up with an earlier version and having to make a manual link ro  less up to date docs version. So if I wanted to send you to the latest page about Using Wiki I would do the same.

Picture of Dave Sherwin
Particularly helpful Moodlers
Thanks - that's a time saver tip that is useful instead of looking up the documentation