Developer to Customize EdwiserRemUI Theme...

Developer to Customize EdwiserRemUI Theme...

by Jonathan Bratt -
Number of replies: 11

My apologies if I posted this on the wrong forum but I recently purchased an Edwiser RemUI theme and am using Moodle 3.5 and have a developer working on the customization aspect of it...They need some help with embedding videos onto the front page and possible integrating a message board/forum (vBulletin)... Can someone recommend a developer/designer who can help or possible suggest some resources (videos) that  might help...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jonathan Bratt

Re: Developer to Customize EdwiserRemUI Theme...

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi Jonathan,

Modifying the code of a purchased theme may cause problems with future version updates of it. Also, why'd you want to integrate an external forum / bulletin board if you can just add a mod_forum to the site home page? 

Have you checked whether these modifications are allowed, given their license and terms of use?

Also... I guess this post belongs in the Themes forum...

In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Whatever their license is, if the changes are PHP and their license prevents it in someway then that license would be in violation of GPLv3.  Therefore any modifications you make to PHP will have to be GPLv3 covered and you will be allowed to make them.  CSS / JS wise, I'm not sure but if such was totally separate files then surely an addition rather than a modification.

by Jonathan Bratt -

I was told that the only way to add a forum is as an activity within a course... Where can I find information on how to create a forum on the front page?

With regard to an external (vBulletin) forum, I do not want to change the actual code, I simply thought that an external forum such as the one mentioned would give me more options...

Thanks,

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi Jonathan,

In a regular Moodle installation, the site home / front page is also considered a course (with id = 0). All logged in users are automatically part of this front page course and should be able to use any activities you'd add to the front page. If you can turn editing on on the front page, using the RemUI theme, you should be able to add any activity enabled in your Moodle instance.

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Joost - I think the difference is that the Front Page doesn't have the 'Add an Activity or Resource' in the way that most course sections do.

However, Jonathan, a very simple work around is to add the forums to the Main Menu block on the front page, rather than to a section. As Joost says, all the activities and resources work on the front page - its only about how you create/link to them smile

You can then link to those activities from anywhere in your main content if you want them presented better than being in a side block.

As has already been said, you can already add the Announcements to the front page. Although this is a limited forum in that it does act as a site news/announcements location, rather than a genuine discussion forum as students cannot respond to Announcements.

Richard

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

if it is a Moodle theme then adding Videos in the frontpage is easy,  All you do is use the front page text editor to customise the front page. 

Check out my LOOK & LEARN Tips-n-Tricks posted and pinned to the top of this forum page.

Also read this tutorial about adding a video to your Moodle pages.

https://docs.moodle.org/35/en/Video

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Jonathan Bratt -

Thanks, Mary

by Jonathan Bratt -

The problem is:

On the front page it doesn't have the videoJS editor that it usually has

by Sarang Nair -

Hi Jonathan,

You can embed videos on the HomePage Slider in the Edwiser RemUI theme.

This will help you add a video to the Site Home Page.
Navigate to RemUI Homepage settings -> Header content -> Change the style to Static -> In content type select Video URL.

To enable Forums in the Site Home page, go to Site administration -> Front Page -> Front Page Settings -> in Front page items when logged in select Announcements.
This will enable forums on your site home page.

It is not recommended making code level changes in the theme file directly. You can create a Child theme and make CSS and JS changes there or you can contact Edwiser for Customization.