Installing and upgrading help

MDeploy - Moodle 3.5.1+

Picture of Ken Task
Re: MDeploy - Moodle 3.5.1+
Particularly helpful Moodlers

Yeah, I know.   But am thinking that, if perfected, it could save the moodle admin noobie from some headaches ... maybe those that remotely host with no desire to use ssh/cli.

How many times have we seen, in these forums, either a botched install of a plugin where it was done 'manually' (not CLI, but cPanel FileManager) OR even, a botched update or upgrade due to an incompatible plugin either copied to the wrong location or caused the update/upgrade to fail ... 'whale fail'.

Yes, Rick ... he ought to be along any minute now with his methods ... know one 'pre-package' something local and do it that way.   I, however, want not to use local machine at all.   "Nuttin'" but server. smile

To each their own, I guess! smile

But thanks for asking and responding!

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Howard Miller
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

My problem is that it positively encourages admins to run insecure sites. 

As you say, this tends to be exactly the same group of users who won't have much knowledge about server security. 

I know that other well known applications do this (Wordpress I'm looking at you). But I know experienced server admins who will not touch the likes of Wordpress. 

It also relies on plugin administrators keeping their info up to date in the plugins database

Picture of Ken Task
Particularly helpful Moodlers

Good points!

Yep, WordPresses and Joomla's too boot!

But that's why some 'consultants' can actually make a living ... uhhhh, which isn't me, BTW.

'spirit of sharing', Ken