Having trouble enabling Like button on Forums

Having trouble enabling Like button on Forums

by Heather Goodwin -
Number of replies: 7

I think I'm probably missing something very basic. I'm trying to follow these instructions so that students can like a post of a forum: https://docs.moodle.org/35/en/Forum_FAQ#How_do_I_enable_students_to_rate_forum_posts.3F

I've created the Scale as shown in the instructions, but I can't figure out how to enable the ratings. I can't actually find Administration > Forum administration > Permissions

I've searched for the pages "Forum administration" and "Permissions" in Site Administration > Search but the pages that come up don't seem to match the instructions.

I'm pretty new to Moodle so I think there must be some menu or section that I'm just not finding.

I'm on Moodle 3.5, Linux server

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Heather Goodwin

Re: Having trouble enabling Like button on Forums

by C Schipper -

Forum administration is within the forum.

Go to the forum you want to enable ratings on, then click on the Cog (usually on the top right) to find the Forum administration. You'll see Permissions in that list.

In reply to C Schipper

by Heather Goodwin -

Thanks for that. 

The Scale has been created. Ratings have been enabled. Yet, the rating is not appearing in the forum. 

I've attached screenshots in case they are useful.

Attachment Forum.png
Attachment Permissions.png
Attachment Scale.png

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Can you also share a screenshot showing you have added the rating to the Forum? (Click in the forum, expand the Ratings link, make sure students have permission to rate and that your Scale is set to Type =Scale and Scale =whatever you have called your "like" rating.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Heather Goodwin -

What do you mean by 'click in the forum'? Do you mean to click on a discussion topic? 

Do you mean under the Gear > Edit settings?

If so, I'm just finding this setting now. I didn't see it in the instructions. I'm assuming that I should do something like this...

Aggregate type = Count of ratings

Scale / Type = Scale

Scale = Like 

(I've called what it was set to "Ratings-Default" and what I think I should change it to as "Ratings-Like")

Thanks!

Attachment Ratings-Default.png
Attachment Ratings-Like.png

by Heather Goodwin -

I assume that is what you meant, as the Like button is now working. smile 

Is there somewhere in your documentation that these steps are laid out so that I can refer to our admin person who will manage the forums?

Thanks!

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I'll update the FAQ over the weekend and post back heresmile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -

I have added some extra info to the Forum FAQ now. There are three questions: 

• How do I enable ratings in my forum? 
  • How do I enable students to rate forum posts? 
  • How can I have a 'Like' button for my forum discussions?

Let me know if that is clear enough.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)