Hardware and performance

Timing Out

Picture of Steve Hyland
Timing Out

Hi guys,

I am not an expert in this stuff, but looking for some direction. 

My server/moodle site, hasn't had any issues for 2 year until this week.

Now sometimes it operates very slow, and won't even load a page. After I close my browser and reopen and try, it usually will open a second time. But is operating much slower.

There aren't any more users than before (no more than 3-4 logged in at a time). 

However, my database has obviously grown much bigger over time.

I am using 2.9.7... 

Using GoDaddy, private server - Linux, 3GB RAM, 90 GM Hard Drive,

===

If anyone can make some suggestions, I would be very grateful! 

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Rick Jerz
Re: Timing Out
Particularly helpful Moodlers

I am not an expert, either.  But I have too been using a GoDaddy VPS for quite a while.  Right now I have a Linux 4GB RAM, 120GB HD VPS, and I hate to say this, it has been running great.  I got this VPS in January, and it has been solid for this entire year.

Okay, back to some ideas.

1) Have you done a graceful reboot recently?  If not, give it a try.

2) From SSH, issues a "TOP" command and see if anything looks strange.

3) In Moodle, go to Site Admin, Development, and clear your Moodle cache.

4) While in SSH, issue a "df" and see if you are short on disk space.

Now, on to more time-consuming issues.

1) What version of php are you running, and which database?  Are they somewhat current?

2) How big is your database?  Do you back it up?  How big is the backup?

3) Have you considered upgrading Moodle?  I am running the latest Moodle, php 7, and MariaDB.

Now, this might seem a little weird, and GoDaddy will probably not be able to help.

1) I was having some problems with my previous VPS.  I was convinced that it had to be a different user excessively consuming database resource.  GoDaddy didn't help me.  But every month, my database server would have problems.  I had it down to the day and hour.  That's one major reason why I purchased a new VPS this year.  Problem gone!  Yep, weird way to fix a problem.  

Picture of Visvanath Ratnaweera
> I was having some problems with my previous VPS. I was convinced that it had to be a different user excessively consuming database resource. GoDaddy didn't help me.

Remember "Go Daddy! (Where to?)" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=193106 (Dec 2011)? Still the same?
;-(

Picture of Rick Jerz

I guess that you would have to also ask "Is Moodle the same as it was in 2011?"  We still see posts from people complaining about Moodle 1.9, don't we?

Picture of Steve Hyland

Rick, thank you so much for taking the time to make some suggestions.

I think I found the problem. And it is very silly.

I somehow caught a virus that caught onto all the computers in the office.

It was trying to communicate with some third party ad system, that was slowing down my site only from my computers. 

Planning on making the switch over to HostGator for a much a larger VPS that allows me to grow my school without having to stress about RAM or hard disk space).

Picture of Rick Jerz

Ah, so it had nothing to do with your current VPS.

Yes, Hostgater seems to be a popular company.  I don't have any experience with them.  Are they less expensive?  Or do they provide better service?

Picture of Visvanath Ratnaweera
Moodle admins' problems, here and there
Hi Rick

That is an interesting question: What are the problems of Moodle admins and how they solve those problems - in the days of Moodle 1 and today?

It will take some time to activate my long term memory. Perhaps others have some observations ready?

Picture of Rick Jerz
Re: Moodle admins' problems, here and there

Quickly, Moodle 1.9 was not responsive, it's quiz engine not as clean, it has security problems, it had theme problems. 

One can scan the list of items in the "Recent change log" and I am sure that you will find some fixes to problems along the way.  The "recent change log" appears to go back a long way, but I stopped scanning it after about six pages, which took me back to only about 3 months ago.

Alternatively, one might be able to go to Moodle Tracker and look for "Bugs" that have been fixed.

Picture of Ken Task

Op said he had 2.9.7, guys!   GoDaddy or not ... HostGator or not ... that version also needs to be upgraded.

So Op is looking now at migration + upgrade.

Suggest to Op, go to Admin Menu -> Server -> Environment and update the component.

Then (after it updates), use the pick list for Moodle version which should be set to your current 2.9.x version, choose the next version up.   See what the environment report generates.

Do that for every version between 2.9.x and the highest 3.5.x will give you a road map for planning your upgrade.

It would also give you some info on what to ask providers of VPS's ... hint PHP version and DB version changes plus DB file system, character set and collation are in the OP's future migration/upgrades - note that is plural as one cannot hyperjump from 2.9.x to 3.5.x.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Picture of Rick Jerz

I saw that OP was running an old Moodle version too, but I kind of assumed that he would update based upon running a VPS.  He should have the ability to do so.

2.9 to 3.5.  Isn't that a spread of better than 1 1/2 years, or more?

Let's see if he needs some help upgrading.

Picture of Steve Hyland

A couple of things. The reason, I am usually slow to upgrade is because I have to update the template, which is a pain.

I typically do an major upgrade every 2 years.

I am planning on migrating and getting to a newer version... This fall.

============

Also for anyone reading this, my site seemed to run much faster after I cleared out the cookies in my browser. Not sure why. But that actually seemed to do it for me.

Picture of Ken Task

Hmmmm ... thought it was originally virus.   Yes, purging cache (workstation) as well as server sometimes does clean up junk.

Upgrades - so "every 2 years" ... Am sure you've seen https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Releases

If I understand the above url, if one upgrades this year to 3.5.x (it's long term support - which is very good for your plan) ... but, if keeping up with the 'latest and greatest', 2 years would mean 4 versions (moodle 3.6, 3.7, 3.8, 3.9 ... unless moodle decides to go to a 4.0 before a 3.9 ... and the .point releases inbetween.

A lot can change ... don't really foresee Moodle getting smaller/do less ... not if one desires to keep up with the rest of the online learning industry.  

But then again ... my 'crystal ball' isn't too clear these days, either!

2 cent opinion, of course. smile

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Picture of Rick Jerz

A lot of the "pain" depends upon how complex your moodle is, and your own knowledge and skills.

Just the other day, I upgraded my moodle (yes, my VPS's moodle) in about 20 minutes.  I always upgrade my "experimental" moodle first, then my "production" moodle.  So of the 20 minutes, 18 minutes was preparing, and in the remaining 2 minutes, I upgraded my production moodle.  I have about 8 extra plugins in my Moodle.