General developer forum

How to properly add new mathematical functions?

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Re: How to properly add new mathematical functions?
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

I would guess that to make this work, you would also need to add the new functions to qtype_calculated_find_formula_errors https://github.com/moodle/moodle/blob/master/question/type/calculated/questiontype.php#L1942.

Your approach seems pretty good. I can think of one possible different approach, but I am not sure it is better.

The other approach would be to define functions with names like qtype_calculated_factorial. Those can just be defined as normal functions, since the names won't clash with anything. Then, in calculate_raw, you would need to do a replace qtype_calculated_factorial -> factorial etc.

Note that, irrespective of whether you use your approach, or the one I suggest, I would recommend using a regular-expression match, something like

preg_match('~\bfactorial\s*\(~', $formula)

\b matches start of a word, so that won't match things like 'notfactorial'. Including the Open bracket in what you search for (after zero or more spaces) also reduces false positives.

Please add unit tests for this!

Average of ratings: -