General help

Suitability for Class Administration Only

Picture of Troy Philis
Suitability for Class Administration Only

Hi - I set up Moodle a few years ago for a K-12 to help with tutoring. The use was primarily for  teachers to interact with students, track progress, etc. and it worked well. I have a project now that is for an after school program. They are looking just for administrative functions such as online registrations with payment processing, managing teacher schedules and syncing with Google Calendar, class rosters, inventory tracking and keeping digital assets such as flyer pdfs organized per class. 

Are the functions I just mentioned robust and configurable in Moodle? Would it be at all cumbersome to be used in this way, without teacher/student interaction, which seems to be at the core of Moodle's purpose. Hopefully that makes sense. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Average of ratings: -
moi!!! it is what is is...
Re: Suitability for Class Administration Only
Documentation writersParticularly helpful Moodlers

IMNSHO, it is tempting to try to adapt a favoured tool to another purpose, but in this case, what you're asking for is, I suggest, well outside Moodle's remit. What you're looking for is a Content Management System, CMS, or a Student Management System, SMS, not a Learning Management System. Moodle can be linked to PayPal, for one, for payment of courses, synced with Google Calendar, (I think)  but for things like teacher scheduling/tracking (essentially personnel/project management), asset management and advertising, no. I think you're setting yourself up for a lot of unhappy outcomes after an enormous amount of work. 

An online CMS would be something like Drupal or Joomla. I understand you can build such administrative capabilities into your system with these tools. There are a number of more specific Open Source products, I suspect, something like OpenBravo to take care of the financials and asset tracking, OpenOffice or Libra Office, for business functions, with OpenProject for project management. Some of these should fit into Drupal or Joomla so it may be you can build a small system to suit your own need fairly quickly. Drupal has a steep learning curve, Joomla is a bit more friendly apparently. 

I doubt there is a small, inexpensive tool that will do everything you need, but I would think there are a number of really expensive tools that could do what you want, right out the box. So basically, what do you want to pay for? How much do you want to pay? Good luck.   

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Picture of Troy Philis

Thanks Colin. I think you saved me a lot of time.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Visvanath Ratnaweera
Particularly helpful Moodlers
Marginally related:
Moodle for non-higher-ed collaborations? https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=374254

Average of ratings: Useful (1)