Course Activity - Slideshow - In Need of Help

Course Activity - Slideshow - In Need of Help

by MAG II -
Number of replies: 8

Hello -

I am new to Moodle, and I am struggling on how to find the best way to add images to a course to be viewed as a slideshow. Is there any way for me to add a slideshow, as well as set the time that each slide must be viewed in order for the student to advance to the next slide?

I've been researching it, and it seems as though Moodle 2.2 had this function readily available, however, I am not seeing it anywhere in the 3.5.1 version I am using. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to MAG II

Re: Course Activity - Slideshow - In Need of Help

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

save you slideshow with the transition timing for each slide as a MP4 file.

upload the MP4 file as a video file.

The content will play as a video, advances using the timing values from the slideshow.

In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by MAG II -

Is this the most efficient way to add images as a slideshow to a course? If so, what Activity would I choose to upload images, and then create an MP4 video?

In reply to MAG II

by Shirley Gregorczyk -

You cannot create the MP4 file within Moodle.

If your learning experience is a slideshow, you can either make a .jpg of each slide of your deck and upload each .jpg as an image and let the student self navigate through each slide or save you ppt file as a .MP4 file ad upload the entire .MP4 file as a video. The student will have normal video controls to review the content.

I normally use the .MP4 for Course activities when the content is linear, and use the Book activity for slideshow content that allows the student to self-navigate, to previous slides at their own pace.

I do not use the Lesson activity, because the quiz format is different and not as robust as the Question Bank.

In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by MAG II -

Hi Shirley - 

Thanks for your help. I have converted my slideshow to MP4. Ideally I was hoping to have it as a single activity that embedded into the opening page of the course. What I've done is added the video file to the topic page. The video is embedded into the main course page, however the dimensions of it are very small. I would like to make it bigger. Is this the best way to go about it?

In reply to MAG II

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Drew,

If you can install plugins, you might want to try the Content Pages activity plugin, (mod_icontent). It lets you create an activity directly in Moodle that looks and acts like a slide show with some additional capability. Students are able to add notes and ask questions about slides and the teacher can include graded questions on a slide. However, not all question types are supported.

Note that when you go to this plugins download page, you will need to click on the Versions tab to get the latest version, 1.0.5 (2018031100). It says for Moodle 3.3 and 3.4, but I am using it on 3.5 without any apparent problems.

In reply to AL Rachels

by MAG II -

Hi Al - 

Thanks for your suggestion. I have just downloaded Content Pages. At first glance it seems to be more than I need. What I am hoping to achieve at this point is having an MP4 video available as soon as one enters a course. I've figured out how to get this video available, and I am able to change the dimensions of it to make it larger. 

What I am currently struggling with is make the video autoplay as well as hide the controls. I did select both of these options, but at this point when entering the course the controls are hidden, but the video does not autoplay. It's very frustrating. This is the HTML code that Moodle has generated with my chosen settings:

<video width="1200" height="1500" autoplay="true"><source src="(my video url)"">(my video url)</video>

Like I mentioned, the controls are hidden, but the video doesn't autoplay. All I am trying to do is set up a simple course in which one is required to watch a video without being permitted to skip through it. 

In reply to MAG II

by Shirley Gregorczyk -

I am using Labels to hold my MP4 files. After I upload the file, in HTML I adjust the width to ?d=850x450"> and the auto play works without problems.

For the activity completion = student must manually mark the activity as complete - I restrict access to the next activity until the MP4 file is marked as complete.

In the main topics area, I always include "student instructions" so they can successfully navigate each activity and complete the course.

In reply to MAG II

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Have you tried reorganizing the the first part of your HTML to something like this:

<video controls="true" autoplay="true" width="1200" height="1500"><source src="(my video url)"">(my video url)</video>

If you don't want the controls to show, change the true to false.