URGENT!!! Duplicating a forum!

URGENT!!! Duplicating a forum!

by Richard Crawford -
Number of replies: 2
We have a series of three classes in a track, and all students in that track take all three classes.  In the first class we have a forum called "Introduce Yourself".  Is there a way to copy or duplicate the posts from the "Introduce Yourself" forum in Class 1 to a similar forum in Class 2, so that students don't have to re-enter their introductory posts?

I have tried directly manipulating the database, updating the forum and course_module tables with the proper values of the course and section numbers and instance numbers, but while I can associate the old forum with the new course, it still does not show up in the front page and the the forum posts do not show up with the forum.

I'm at a loss, and this is an urgent task.  Any ideas -- even tiny hints -- would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Crawford

Re: URGENT!!! Duplicating a forum!

by Steve Hyndman -

Don't know if it would help you at this point, but it sounds like this may be a good application for a metacourse.

Disclaimer here...I've never used the metacourse feature, but....

It seems that if you set-up a metacourse and put the common items (intro forum and anything else common to all classes) in that course, then enroll all your other courses in the metacourse, this may solve the problem. You may even be able to make the existing course with the student intros the metacourse.

Of course, using this approach would still not result in the introduction forum being duplicated in all classes...it would all be in the metacourse, but this may be a good thing as well. It would just be a matter of communicating the purpose of the metacourse to your students.

Steve 

In reply to Richard Crawford

Re: URGENT!!! Duplicating a forum!

by N Hansen -
Perhaps you can backup the forum and restore it to the other course, including its contents?