Moodle Core: plan for themes

Re: Moodle Core: plan for themes

by Sander Bangma -
Number of replies: 9

Hi All,

This is a reminder that we are moving forward with the theme changes for Moodle 3.7 as described above.

What is the change?

• Themes based on Bootstrap version 2 (including bootstrapbase, Clean and More) will be deprecated and removed from core.
  • A new ‘Classic’ theme, based on Bootstrap 4, will be added to core, which retains the classic navigation block and three column layout.

What should I do next?

If your site uses a custom theme based on bootstrapbase (or any of its child themes), it is highly recommended that you start the process of moving to the default Boost or Classic theme, or build another customised theme based on Bootstrap 4.

To assist you with making a new custom theme or updating your existing theme please see the Moodle developer Themes documentation page, and specifically:

Important timelines

• Moodle 3.7 release is scheduled for May 2019.
  • Moodle 3.6 is the last release with support for themes based on Bootstrap 2. Security support for Moodle 3.6 ends in May 2020.
  • Moodle 3.5 is the last LTS release with support for themes based on Bootstrap 2. Security support for Moodle 3.5 ends in May 2021.
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Sander Bangma

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Is the Classic theme already viewable? Would be interested to see how it has evolved from Clean. It is not yet active as such in the QA site, I saw.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Ray Hinton -

I see that it is on the Moodle.org theme repository, but not in the latest 3.7 dev build. Looking forward to seeing an early release of this baked into core, so we can start plotting our path forward. 

In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Bas Brands -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers

Hi Joost,

It would be best to wait a week or two untill This issue https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-64505 is completed on the Moodle Tracker. As soon as it is the repository https://github.com/bmbrands/moodle-theme_classic will be updated with the latest changes.

The classic has not really evolved from clean, it is a new theme providing a similar user interface and design. 

In reply to Bas Brands

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi Bas, I too was curious about the new "Classic" theme, and yes, I discovered yesterday by downloading and looking at the latest 3.7 development Moodle (20190301) that "Classic" is not in it yet.  So, the head-up is great, but if the move to all of these changes is to occur in May, we really are not being provided much time to prepare.  So see what you can do to move availability to "Classic" along.

If we are currently using Boost in 3.6, are we "good to go" when 3.7 is released?  From what I read, 3.7 will provide both Boost and Classic as the two internally supported themes.  Right?  Will there be any significant changes to the current Boost theme in 3.7?

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Sander,

Is there also a plan to have faster updates to the Bootstrap framework?  As the current version available (getbootstrap.com) is 4.3.1 and yet Moodle has 4.0.0 in M3.6?

Also is there plans to update FontAwesome from the ageing 4.7.0?  To 5.7.2 free (current version on fontawesome.com).

In the long term is there plans to support other frameworks other than Bootstrap?

Cheers,

Gareth

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Alexander Bias -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Gareth,

> Also is there plans to update FontAwesome from the ageing 4.7.0?  To 5.7.2 free (current version on fontawesome.com).

You should be able to track the progress for FontAwesome on https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-64853.

I am not aware that a similar tracker issue exists for Bootstrap.

Cheers,
Alex

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Don Schwartz -

A simple request for the non tech moodlers among us. I’m a tech and know what I’m using but..

Is there a test, url query or other method which admins can use to determine if their theme is Bootstrap based? Yes, view source is obvious to us.

Secondly. I feel that with major changes like this, Moodle Pty Ltd owes the community a list of affected themes in the approved Plugins directory. The onus should not be on users who may not see problems until their site breaks.

Also: https://builtwith.com helps on open sites

Thanks