Object storage file system

Object storage file system

by Harry Dickinson -
Number of replies: 3

Moodle 3.3, Object Storage File System Plugin:  https://moodle.org/plugins/tool_objectfs

Hi All,

Hoping to get a little help from the community before escalating this to the developers. 

We have a requirement to retain previous courses and modules for the duration of Degree programmes, 4 years. This obviously adds overhead to our VPS storage requirements. I came across this plugin while exploring alternatives to increasing expensive server storage. It leverages inexpensive external Object storage from AWS S3 and Azure Blobs to replicate moodle files externally while maintaining normal file access.

Now it works perfectly, to a point. While in mirror mode there are no issues but once you set the plugin to start deleting local files and using the remote copies directly from S3 or Azure it loses access to the files. Now the files are definitely on the remote object storage and are even visible in the System Repository, but they are just not accessible. 

For instance trying to view or download a PDF will throw:

"Error Failed to load PDF document" message. The window header will display the file path and the PDF reader window shows the document title.

Attempting to download a file will throw: 

my-moodle.net unexpectedly closed the connection.

ERR_CONTENT_LENGTH_MISMATCH

Really hoping that somebody has had something similar happen or understands the core issue better than I do (not hard). Cannot find much on the issue. The plugin is perfect otherwise and I would really like to get it working.

All ideas gratefully accepted.

Regards

Harry

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Harry Dickinson

Re: Object storage file system

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Given that there have only been 41 downloads I suspect this is a very niche plugin. I must confess that I no idea what object storage is. 

I suspect you will have to speak to Catalyst who developed this. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Harry Dickinson -

Thanks Howard,

Think you might be right. Had hoped there might be some early implementers around who might have ironed out some early wrinkles. Do think it will become more popular, eventually, as it has huge resource and cost saving potential. In the meantime it looks like I am off to GitHub.

Regards

Harry

In reply to Harry Dickinson

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

No idea... this prompted me to read the Wikipedia article on Object storage. I must confess I have never heard of it before. 

Sounds like the sort of thing that might well be loads of trouble until (if?) it becomes mainstream.