How to automate assignment grades with an external tool

How to automate assignment grades with an external tool

by Johan Dobbelstein -
Number of replies: 5

Hi!

I'm quite new to Moodle and was given the task to automate the grading of students who submit assignment files.

I am just focusing on the general idea of :

1. create a moodle 'assignment' activity
  2. students submit assignment files
  3. do I use a plugin or webservice or something else to finally store the grade into Moodle ?
  4. grades are finally stored in Moodle

I have already completed step 1 and 2. I need to perform step 3 and 4.

Any suggestions ?

Thank you very much for your help.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Johan Dobbelstein

Re: How to automate assignment grades with an external tool

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

So they are not getting looked at?  They just get a grade for submitting any file?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Johan Dobbelstein -

No, they are not looked at by a human.

The files must meet some requirements that our in-house software will check and grade.

Ideally we would like to keep Moodle for every thing else : course, enrollment, groups, gradebook, etc. So I thought the simplest way to go was just to keep the 'assign' activity and build around a webservice client that can process each submission outside Moodle before uploading back the student grade. I could go for a full LTI plugin but this seems way overkilled.

Bonus : after the automated grades were uploaded, a teacher would still be able to manually fix them ... because you know, automated software are not always 100% reliable :/

I have begun to build such a webservice but we must not be the first ones to ask for this workflow.

Has someone already done this ? Or is there a simpler solution ?

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I think most are probably using LTI but hopefully someone will jump on with a solution for you!

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Johan Dobbelstein -

I have solved my problem using REST/json webservices. They are easy to use (from good old PERL v5.x) and they work great!

I may look in the future into LTI or the mod_assign plugin system to make my solution more 'user-friendly'.

Thank you for your help.

by Juan Carlos Blanco Delgado -

Hi there, 

I have a similar project, could you give some guidance how did you manage to solve this issue? I also need to add grades from a external website to Moodle

I appreciate any help!!!

Thank you!