Database search only searching keyword phrases and not keywords

Database search only searching keyword phrases and not keywords

by Mela Sogono -
Number of replies: 4

Hi all,

I was wondering if this can be updated on a setting somewhere, or if this is really how Moodle databases work. I've setup several databases and was testing the search. I noticed that when putting in several keywords, Moodle only searches for the exact phrase and not the individual keywords.

E.g. When I search for "Journal of Interprofessional Care", I get the correct result.

However, let's say I put in "Journal Interprofessional Care". I get no results.

We're using databases to transfer over our link collections. We're dealing with quite long and detailed content in the titles and descriptions. Ideally, we were hoping that people would be able to search using keywords -- people usually do not remember exact titles or descriptions. But it appears that they would have to use exact keyword phrases for the results to appear. 

Is it possible to amend the databases, so that searching for "Journal Interprofessional Care" searches for "Journal" + "Interprofessional" + "Care" and not the exact phrase?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mela Sogono

Re: Database search only searching keyword phrases and not keywords

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Yes, you are right, it searches one "word" only. It treats "Journal of Interprofessional Care" as ONE word as well, and treats "Journal Interprofessional Care" as a wrong spelling.

You can encourage your users to use a single word to the search first, then find the correct phrase to search again.

In reply to William Lu

by Mela Sogono -

Hi William, thanks for your response. That's a shame though, it's counterintuitive to how searches work elsewhere. Based on our research our members don't recall specific phrases but rather general keywords. I guess we'll have to look for a different solution.

In reply to Mela Sogono

by Mela Sogono -

In case anyone else is interested, one of the developers at my employer made some changes that fixed this issue. Please vote for it here: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-63397 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mela Sogono

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Mela,

It is very good, thank you very much for your effort.

I have voted.