Time limit settings in quiz activity

Time limit settings in quiz activity

by Paul K -
Number of replies: 10

Hello,

I have one question regarding the quiz time limit settings. We have conduced a test based on the quiz activity in which took part about 250 students. The quiz time was limited to 120 minutes. Nevertheless, based on the overall statistics, some students were able to submit their answers after this time - one student have submitted the answers after 2 hours and 6 minutes. How is it possible, if the time was limited in the quiz settings? Grace period was disabled. My Moodle version is 3.3.5.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul K

Re: Time limit settings in quiz activity

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

This has been discussed in the past. I just did a search on  moodle quiz time limit

And this was one of the links that came up that gives some background.

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=334642

I am in no way an expert on this but I have read the discussions on it over the years.

Good luck

In reply to Paul K

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Could you share your actual quiz settings?  Below is how I have a timed quiz set up.

Also, might there be some manual overrides?

Attachment quiz settings.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Paul K -

I assume that the timing settings are correct.

settings

In reply to Paul K

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

This is based on cron too...so it could be that cron is not running as often as it should be...

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Paul K -

This might be the case. Our Moodle instance runs under Windows Server 2012. The cronjob runs every 10 minutes. I have made the adjustment so it will run every 5 minutes. I will give it a try, and then will let you know.

In reply to Paul K

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello Paul,

I think that the recommended setting is that the cron is run every minute.

In reply to Paul K

by Rick Jerz -

You probably know this, Paul, but make sure to do plenty of experimenting.  You can do so in a dummy course, with a dummy student, and a dummy quiz.  (You mentioned that a student was able to take the quiz 2 hours after it was over... this is a concern, of course.)

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Annie Guetschow -

I have a student using a MacBook Pro to take a timed quiz (10 minutes) and when he submits his answers at 9 min. 45 seconds he is taken to a time out screen.  When he races to get back in to re-enter his responses, he can maybe get one answered again before he is cut off with the actual quiz timing out.

We are on Moodle version Moodlerooms 3.4 (Build: 20180712)

Link to his attempt: http://moodle.cbu.edu/mod/quiz/review.php?attempt=215842

Quiz settings are timing set at 10 minutes and no grace period. See screen shot attached.

What is causing this?

In reply to Annie Guetschow

by Rick Jerz -

Can you replicate this?  And then, when you try from a PC, the problem doesn't occur?