Badge Confusion and Course Completion Criteria

Badge Confusion and Course Completion Criteria

by Frank Hieber -
Number of replies: 3

I'm using Moodle 3.5.1.

If I create a badge from within a course it gives me the option to make the badge dependent on Activity completion (i.e. complete post training quiz with passing grade).  But if I create the badge from within the Site Administration module I can only use Course completion as a criteria.  The badges created from within the course work exactly as I wish, but they are not visible in the Site Administration Badge Management screen which is strange.  But if I give it the same name as an existing badge I get an error.  So they're connected somewhat but not correctly.  If I create a badge in the Site Administration Badge Management screen it won't work at all.

Somehow I also managed to accidentally assign completion criteria for several courses that requires that multiple courses be complete as a pre-requisite for completing the course the student is working on and there is currently no way to remove that pre-req course once selected.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frank Hieber

Re: Badge Confusion and Course Completion Criteria

by S. kavita -
Picture of Testers

Hi Frank,

Please have a look at Badges Moodle docs: https://docs.moodle.org/34/en/Using_badges

Here is a brief of it which says "

Adding a site badge

• An administrator can add a site badge from Administration > Site administration > Badges > Add a new badge.
  • While the settings are basically the same as for a teacher in a course, the criteria are slightly different because of the global nature of the badge. These are: manual issue by role; completing a set of courses or profile completion.
  • In order to be able to award a site badge based on completing one or more courses, completion tracking needs to be enabled in the site and relevant courses. In each course, activity completion must be set for the chosen activities, which must be then checked in the course completion settings.

In reply to S. kavita

by Frank Hieber -

Thank you for the reply.  I've managed to get activity completion to register, but nothing I do will get a course to register as complete unless I put a quiz in it, and require a minimum grade.  I just want to ensure that the employee has reviewed two activities.  I have it set to require completing the two activities and it shows that they're complete, but they're not triggering the course completion function.  If I review the course completion report it shows 2 activities complete but the course is incomplete.

In reply to Frank Hieber

by S. kavita -
Picture of Testers

If possible for you then can you please show me the course completion settings and your entire course?