Teaching with Moodle

Learn Moodle 3.5 Basics: Feedback and actions

Mary Cooch
Learn Moodle 3.5 Basics: Feedback and actions
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators
Sunday 15 July was the last day of our latest Learn Moodle Basics MOOC. From today the course is in read-only mode, and Helen and I are busy preparing for the next run, Learn Moodle 3.6 Basics, starting 7 January 2019. Here’s a short overview of how the MOOC went:

Some facts and figures: 

•  3776 people started the course and of these 45% were awarded a Learn Moodle 3.5 participant badge for posting in a forum. 
  •  3776 people started the course and of these 21% (791) went on to complete all 33 activities and obtain a certificate of completion and badge.
  •  35% of participants chose to progress through the course one week at a time, while 65% chose to see all the activities at once. 
  •  In the week 1 choice activity, 80% of participants said that they were new to Moodle or had used it only a little for sharing files. 
  •  In the week 4 final feedback, 93% of participants said that their overall impression of the course was good or outstanding. 
  •  In the week 4 final feedback, 85% of participants said that the tasks in the course were just the right level for them.
What we did well:

Showcasing new features:

Run twice a year, the MOOC is a good opportunity to try the new features of the latest version. A particularly popular feature this time in Moodle 3.5 was the audio and video recording option in the Atto editor, which added interest and entertainment to forum introductions and discussions:

Audio video recorder

Up to date video tutorials:

Updated for Moodle 3.5, the short screencasts were welcomed, and their subtitles quickly translated not only by our Greek Moodle Partner WIDE Services but also by members of the Moodle community. (Here’s how to contribute subtitles to our Moodle HQ videos if you’d like to watch them in your language.)

Changing perceptions:

Although the MOOC is aimed at complete beginners, we do have participants join who know (or think they know) Moodle and come along to learn about new features of the latest version. We consistently hear from these participants that they had no idea how versatile Moodle is, and that their use of it will significantly alter in future: 

Before joining the MOOC I had assumed that Moodle would just be a way for me to deliver video training to employees. However, it's far more than that! 

During the course, I frequently went back to my own courses in Moodle and used what I learned to tweak them.

Moodle mobile:

Almost a third of participants did some or all of the course using the new updated Moodle app. Its ongoing improvements and its convenience were appreciated:

… mobile app's features are extended and become much better (convenient for users) year by year! 

I liked how I could participate in the course on my smartphone on my commute to work etc.

How we can improve:

Bug fixes!

Participants are great at finding the occasional bug in in the web version or the Moodle app. We report these bugs in the Moodle Tracker so they can be fixed not only for our next MOOC but for the community at large. 

An example is MOBILE-2359 - The number of workshop assertions is different in the app from the web version

Clarifying Big Blue Button instructions:

Our weekly live sessions use Big Blue Button. Some participants struggle with accessing the link on different devices and browsers, so we’re going to clarify the information to enable as many people as possible to successfully attend these optional live sessions.

Helen and I will be reviewing all the comments this week in preparation for implementing improvements. Our Learn Moodle 3.6 Basics MOOC will in fact be the tenth run of the MOOC, and many changes have been made since the first run in August 2013. As well as complete newcomers, we’d love for participants who joined the first time to come along and see the latest version. Follow us on social media for news of when sign-up will be open!

Average of ratings: Useful (5)
Picture of Joost Elshoff
Re: Learn Moodle 3.5 Basics: Feedback and actions
Particularly helpful MoodlersTesters

It was an interesting run, full of good conversations with the close to 4000 participants. It would be nice to see both the Course design and the Teaching perspectives in a future run:

- How do you effectively use your Learn Moodle n.n. Basics skills to design a course that suits your needs? With some community best practices, such as case studies in video format.

- How does Moodle n.n. influence the way you teach and think about ed tech? Experiences beyond using an LMS as an online document repository would be welcome.

---

Nearly forgot to mention: thanks a lot for facilitating the MOOC, Moodle Team (Mary and Helen)!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Kizito Khisa

Rarely does one find themselves in a course that is so useful as to see its immediate application. Learn Moodle 3.5 was my very first Moodle course and I am now the proud owner of a certificate of completion and two badges. I will without hesitation take up the inivitation to go along and see the latest version 3.6 in January 2019.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Melanie Scott
Particularly helpful Moodlers

You guys did a great job!  Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Thanks for the kind comments. Here are a few more videos on the Moodle activites not covered during the MOOC:

Average of ratings: Useful (1)